Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
FC=1.5
CC=0
pH=(8)
TA=100
CH=130(I had to do a refill(50%drain) to lower CYA and it dropped my CH).
CYA=30(it was 100 before the drain).

My pH has been on the rise since I did the drain. I have had the pool just over two years and never had a problem with the pH. I've had other problems but never with the pH. What is raising my pH? I have been adding acid at least twice a week since the drain. Thank you to all who reply.

I would recommend testing your tap water (pH, TA, CH) and see where it is at.
The pH could be rising due to the higher TA.

You may may to raise the CH up some or keep the pH on the higher side to avoid the water damaging the plaster.

What form of chlorine are you using? You are currently too low on your FC.

brian10 said:
FC=1.5
CC=0
pH=(8)
TA=100
CH=130(I had to do a refill(50%drain) to lower CYA and it dropped my CH).
CYA=30(it was 100 before the drain).

My pH has been on the rise since I did the drain. I have had the pool just over two years and never had a problem with the pH. I've had other problems but never with the pH. What is raising my pH? I have been adding acid at least twice a week since the drain. Thank you to all who reply.
If you used to chlorinate with trichlor pucks and now you don't, that's your answer. Trichlor is acidic. Besides raising FC and CYA, it lowers pH and TA.

jblizzle said:
I would recommend testing your tap water (pH, TA, CH) and see where it is at.
The pH could be rising due to the higher TA.

You may may to raise the CH up some or keep the pH on the higher side to avoid the water damaging the plaster.

What form of chlorine are you using? You are currently too low on your FC.

CH is next on my list. I added more bleach(8.25%) to raise my FC. I'm in the second season of the BBB method. Thank you.

If you used to chlorinate with trichlor pucks and now you don't, that's your answer. Trichlor is acidic. Besides raising FC and CYA, it lowers pH and TA.

So if I use trichlor pucks, I raise the cya over time and use less muratic acid? What kind of rise in FC will cause pH to fall? Would it hurt to throw a trichlor puck in each of the skimmers to control the pH? Thank you!

Use poolcalculator to see the effects of the pucks. But never put them in the skimmer unless you leave the pump on 24/7.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

brian10 said:
So if I use trichlor pucks, I raise the cya over time and use less muratic acid? What kind of rise in FC will cause pH to fall? Would it hurt to throw a trichlor puck in each of the skimmers to control the pH? Thank you!

Three questions, three answers:
Yes, but CYA will keep rising, which causes its own problems.

FC does not affect pH. High FC will affect the pH test, but changing FC does not actually change the pH of the pool.

Yes it will hurt. The acidity of the pucks can damage the equipment, along with the fact that there are other chemicals you can put in your pool that will better control the parameters you are trying to change. For pH, use muriatic acid.

Smykowski said:
brian10 said:

Three questions, three answers:
Yes, but CYA will keep rising, which causes its own problems.

FC does not affect pH. High FC will affect the pH test, but changing FC does not actually change the pH of the pool.

Yes it will hurt. The acidity of the pucks can damage the equipment, along with the fact that there are other chemicals you can put in your pool that will better control the parameters you are trying to change. For pH, use muriatic acid.

To control the parameters are you suggesting I use the chemicals within the BBB? If yes, please explain. If no, please explain. :-D

jblizzle said:
Use poolcalculator to see the effects of the pucks. But never put them in the skimmer unless you leave the pump on 24/7.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

When we originally had the pool installed, the builder said to put the pucks in the skimmers. Have not used any pucks this year though.

Using pucks exclusively is a bad idea primarily because of the constant CYA rise.

Control FC with bleach or a SWG, control TA with baking soda, control pH with muriatic acid or borax/soda ash (to lower or raise, respectively), control CYA with standalone stabilizer/conditioner, and control CH with calcium chloride. In practice, one chemical changes one parameter. When you keep it simple like that, it is much easier to keep the pool balanced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well your builder apparently did not care much about the longevity of your skimmer or pool equipment.

The puck sitting in the skimmer with the pump off will result in very acidic water in the skimmer that will then flow into your pump.

jblizzle said:
Well your builder apparently did not care much about the longevity of your skimmer or pool equipment.

The puck sitting in the skimmer with the pump off will result in very acidic water in the skimmer that will then flow into your pump.

I think only cared about getting paid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.