Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA on the rise.

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA on the rise.

FC=1.5
    CC=0
    pH=(8)
    TA=100
    CH=130(I had to do a refill(50%drain) to lower CYA and it dropped my CH).
    CYA=30(it was 100 before the drain).

My pH has been on the rise since I did the drain. I have had the pool just over two years and never had a problem with the pH. I've had other problems but never with the pH. What is raising my pH? I have been adding acid at least twice a week since the drain. Thank you to all who reply.
    BBB
    40x20 IG gunite pool
    35000 gallons
    2.5 HP pool pump and 3/4 HP booster pump for pool cleaner.
    Cartridge filters
    Huntsville Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA on the rise.

I would recommend testing your tap water (pH, TA, CH) and see where it is at.
    The pH could be rising due to the higher TA.

You may may to raise the CH up some or keep the pH on the higher side to avoid the water damaging the plaster.

What form of chlorine are you using? You are currently too low on your FC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by brian10
    FC=1.5
    CC=0
    pH=(8)
    TA=100
    CH=130(I had to do a refill(50%drain) to lower CYA and it dropped my CH).
    CYA=30(it was 100 before the drain).

My pH has been on the rise since I did the drain. I have had the pool just over two years and never had a problem with the pH. I've had other problems but never with the pH. What is raising my pH? I have been adding acid at least twice a week since the drain. Thank you to all who reply.
    If you used to chlorinate with trichlor pucks and now you don't, that's your answer. Trichlor is acidic. Besides raising FC and CYA, it lowers pH and TA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    I would recommend testing your tap water (pH, TA, CH) and see where it is at.
    The pH could be rising due to the higher TA.

You may may to raise the CH up some or keep the pH on the higher side to avoid the water damaging the plaster.

What form of chlorine are you using? You are currently too low on your FC.

CH is next on my list. I added more bleach(8.25%) to raise my FC. I'm in the second season of the BBB method. Thank you.
    BBB
    40x20 IG gunite pool
    35000 gallons
    Cartridge filters
    Huntsville Texas

5. Back To Top    #5

If you used to chlorinate with trichlor pucks and now you don't, that's your answer. Trichlor is acidic. Besides raising FC and CYA, it lowers pH and TA.

So if I use trichlor pucks, I raise the cya over time and use less muratic acid? What kind of rise in FC will cause pH to fall? Would it hurt to throw a trichlor puck in each of the skimmers to control the pH? Thank you!
    BBB
    40x20 IG gunite pool
    35000 gallons
    Cartridge filters
    Huntsville Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

Use poolcalculator to see the effects of the pucks. But never put them in the skimmer unless you leave the pump on 24/7.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

So if I use trichlor pucks, I raise the cya over time and use less muratic acid? What kind of rise in FC will cause pH to fall? Would it hurt to throw a trichlor puck in each of the skimmers to control the pH? Thank you!
    Three questions, three answers:
    Yes, but CYA will keep rising, which causes its own problems.

FC does not affect pH. High FC will affect the pH test, but changing FC does not actually change the pH of the pool.

Yes it will hurt. The acidity of the pucks can damage the equipment, along with the fact that there are other chemicals you can put in your pool that will better control the parameters you are trying to change. For pH, use muriatic acid.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski

Three questions, three answers:
    Yes, but CYA will keep rising, which causes its own problems.

FC does not affect pH. High FC will affect the pH test, but changing FC does not actually change the pH of the pool.

Yes it will hurt. The acidity of the pucks can damage the equipment, along with the fact that there are other chemicals you can put in your pool that will better control the parameters you are trying to change. For pH, use muriatic acid.
    To control the parameters are you suggesting I use the chemicals within the BBB? If yes, please explain. If no, please explain.
    BBB
    40x20 IG gunite pool
    35000 gallons
    Cartridge filters
    Huntsville Texas

9. Back To Top    #9

Use poolcalculator to see the effects of the pucks. But never put them in the skimmer unless you leave the pump on 24/7.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short

When we originally had the pool installed, the builder said to put the pucks in the skimmers. Have not used any pucks this year though.
    BBB
    40x20 IG gunite pool
    35000 gallons
    Cartridge filters
    Huntsville Texas

10. Back To Top    #10

Using pucks exclusively is a bad idea primarily because of the constant CYA rise.

Control FC with bleach or a SWG, control TA with baking soda, control pH with muriatic acid or borax/soda ash (to lower or raise, respectively), control CYA with standalone stabilizer/conditioner, and control CH with calcium chloride. In practice, one chemical changes one parameter. When you keep it simple like that, it is much easier to keep the pool balanced.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

11. Back To Top    #11

Well your builder apparently did not care much about the longevity of your skimmer or pool equipment.

The puck sitting in the skimmer with the pump off will result in very acidic water in the skimmer that will then flow into your pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Well your builder apparently did not care much about the longevity of your skimmer or pool equipment.

The puck sitting in the skimmer with the pump off will result in very acidic water in the skimmer that will then flow into your pump.

I think only cared about getting paid.
    BBB
    40x20 IG gunite pool
    35000 gallons
    Cartridge filters
    Huntsville Texas