need to replace valves - planning for future automation

twd000

Feb 19, 2013
Tucson, AZ
IMG_3238.JPG

So this pool came with a "pit" full of control valves that are packed way too close together. Not a problem when it was built 30 years ago, but of course half of them are leaking (and it's not the cheapo PVC ball valves!)

So I plan to dig out the dirt to get access, then replace the leaking valves, while bringing them up to an accessible height.

I need to replace 2x 2" 3-way diverter valves, and 1x 1.5" 3-way diverter valve. I have a vague idea of what they do, but not exactly. They seem to control flow to/from the pool/jacuzzi (and possibly multiple return circuits). Two are stuck in position so I haven't messed with them.

I currently have no automation but I may eventually get a Pentair Intellitouch (just got a Pentair VS 3 HP pump which would make the interface easy). I know Jandy sells valves which can be actuated with a 12-volt system. And in fact my solar system has a couple of those in place. So is it best to just get Jandy replacement for the diverters with manual handles, then get the actuators later? Which Jandy valves are right for my system?

You can get Jandy, Hayward, Pentair valves. They can all be later actuated with any brand actuator.

The valves sizes usually state 2 numbers, like 1.5/2". This means a 1.5" pipe slips inside or a 2" pipe will attach with a 2" coupler.

Best to get the size that allows the pipe to slip inside for reduced headloss.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

The space savers I think are just shorter, they may not have the same warranty add the Neverlube.

Btw, I don't think that is a very good price for that Pentair PVC valve ... the PVC seem to usually be quite a bit cheaper than the CPVC. Pentair says to use CPVC if the air temp goes over 105.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

yeah, there are better prices out there, and I will use CPVC in our hot environment

I was just using that as an example

I'm more concerned about the the arrangement - how I'm going to replace all 3 of the Ortegas side-by-side with no space between them?

Are you sure all those are for the pool? That is going to be pretty tricky, but if you dig out the dirt, maybe there is a way to spread things out a bit.

What part of town are you in? (Send a PM if you prefer)

I'm in Tanque Verde

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The green irrigation control valve is for filling the pool. There is some other irrigation circuit stuff that I won't use. The small PVC ball valve is for the aerator return. The other 2 PVC ball valves -no idea. The blue handle - no idea. The big gate valve - no idea, and it's leaking like crazy. The 3 Ortega valves seem to be controlling the suction and return from the spa and pool.

I cut out an old booster pump so any line that serviced only that pump can be removed, but I don't know how to find them.

could I try to rebuild the guts of the Ortega valves, would they work with an actuator? I see replacement parts for sale online

are there any other manufacturers that sell a 3-way diverter valve with top-mount handle?

A quick search does reveal that it seems possible to use the 24V actuators on the ortega valves ... I think an adapter may be required to interface with the valve:
http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-OVA2-Adap ... B004VTCU40

I have not searched enough to see if the cheaper Intermatic actuator would also work or if an adapter is available. At this point I can just say it seems possible, just not sure if specific brands are required.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.