PH Testing question

Apr 24, 2013
I struggle to distinguish confidently between the shades on the PH test. I also have access to a PH pen for testing PH. I assume the digital PH pen is typically more accurate than an OTO test, correct? Any reason I should avoid using a PH pen for testing my pool water PH?

depends on the quality of the pH pen, the cheaper ones I would strongly say should be avoided or calibrated regularly, the more expensive versions are more accurate than comparator (colour matching) if maintained correctly.

For home users a good quality comparator test is easier to maintain and gives good results continuously.

Yes, I am speaking of a high quality pen. My company does waste water treatment due to by product produced from our processing, and I'm referencing a PH pen (fairly expensive) in which we utilize for maintaining our PH within our alkaline cleaner and acidic pickle baths.

I guess I am not trying to understand for two different reasons. (My work and my pool) But, what is the general feel for the high quality PH pens versus OTO testing?

Good quality pens do work very well, and give more accurate results than comparator results, in the same way a good quality photometer gives more accurate results also.

I am not against it, in fact I have a medium price pen, but use it infrequently as I have a high quality photometer that does the job exceedingly well.

You will find with anything though we do try to recommend cheaper, cost effective methods of testing pool water (The TF100) for residential pool owners, there's no point in suggesting to newbies on the forum (or experts for that matter) that they should go out and buy expensive equipment when a TF100 is accurate and cost-effective for the majority of forum users in the residential pool owners audience.

Stuamurr said:
Good quality pens do work very well, and give more accurate results than comparator results, in the same way a good quality photometer gives more accurate results also.

I am not against it, in fact I have a medium price pen, but use it infrequently as I have a high quality photometer that does the job exceedingly well.

You will find with anything though we do try to recommend cheaper, cost effective methods of testing pool water (The TF100) for residential pool owners, there's no point in suggesting to newbies on the forum (or experts for that matter) that they should go out and buy expensive equipment when a TF100 is accurate and cost-effective for the majority of forum users in the residential pool owners audience.

I understand. I am a newbie to owning a pool. We bought a home with a pool a couple of months ago, and this site has been wonderful. It has helped me turn a green swamp into a pool again. I order the TF100 kit as recommended and have had success with it except for the PH testing. If I did not have access to the PH pen I have, I would continue with perfecting my ability to utilize the OTO testing. I would not invest in a high quality PH pen for my pool alone. I was asking purely for my instance and not trying to recommend a PH pen purchase for anyone.

I would not invest in a high quality PH pen for my pool alone
I think that sort of answers your question. The initial cost and calibration of a high quality electronic tester isn't practical for most pool owners and the cheap ones can be good or quite terrible.

duraleigh said:
I would not invest in a high quality PH pen for my pool alone
I think that sort of answers your question. The initial cost and calibration of a high quality electronic tester isn't practical for most pool owners and the cheap ones can be good or quite terrible.

Not really. It was never a question of purchasing one. I did get my answer though, thanks. It sounds as if the pen I have access to use would be accurate but yet I should practice the OTO testing as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There's the good part however of this test.....it doesn't matter really. Those levels are just fine if they're close in that range. We're spoiled by knowing the EXACT number with the other drop based tests, that when there is a test that requires a user "guess" it becomes tuff. In the long run however....there's little difference between a reading of 7.2 and of 7.8 in the majority of pools.

Leebo said:
There's the good part however of this test.....it doesn't matter really. Those levels are just fine if they're close in that range. We're spoiled by knowing the EXACT number with the other drop based tests, that when there is a test that requires a user "guess" it becomes tuff. In the long run however....there's little difference between a reading of 7.2 and of 7.8 in the majority of pools.

:goodjob:

Leebo said:
Well I guess that is good to know, but like u said, it is nice to know the exact numbers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.