Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH Testing question

1. Back To Top    #1

PH Testing question

I struggle to distinguish confidently between the shades on the PH test. I also have access to a PH pen for testing PH. I assume the digital PH pen is typically more accurate than an OTO test, correct? Any reason I should avoid using a PH pen for testing my pool water PH?
    12Kgal, AG, Sand, Hayward Swim Pro SW256T PAKS

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: PH Testing question

No, it can be wildly inaccurate. You'll get the hang of the pH test by repetition.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Disappointing to hear, I must be colour blind as I struggle to see the difference as well! *taps fingers on desk* Waiting for my K-2006 in the mail, I hear it's easier to tell on the k-2006/TF-100 than a cheap kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

depends on the quality of the pH pen, the cheaper ones I would strongly say should be avoided or calibrated regularly, the more expensive versions are more accurate than comparator (colour matching) if maintained correctly.

For home users a good quality comparator test is easier to maintain and gives good results continuously.
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I am speaking of a high quality pen. My company does waste water treatment due to by product produced from our processing, and I'm referencing a PH pen (fairly expensive) in which we utilize for maintaining our PH within our alkaline cleaner and acidic pickle baths.

I guess I am not trying to understand for two different reasons. (My work and my pool) But, what is the general feel for the high quality PH pens versus OTO testing?

6. Back To Top    #6

Good quality pens do work very well, and give more accurate results than comparator results, in the same way a good quality photometer gives more accurate results also.

I am not against it, in fact I have a medium price pen, but use it infrequently as I have a high quality photometer that does the job exceedingly well.

You will find with anything though we do try to recommend cheaper, cost effective methods of testing pool water (The TF100) for residential pool owners, there's no point in suggesting to newbies on the forum (or experts for that matter) that they should go out and buy expensive equipment when a TF100 is accurate and cost-effective for the majority of forum users in the residential pool owners audience.
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Stuamurr
    Good quality pens do work very well, and give more accurate results than comparator results, in the same way a good quality photometer gives more accurate results also.

I am not against it, in fact I have a medium price pen, but use it infrequently as I have a high quality photometer that does the job exceedingly well.

You will find with anything though we do try to recommend cheaper, cost effective methods of testing pool water (The TF100) for residential pool owners, there's no point in suggesting to newbies on the forum (or experts for that matter) that they should go out and buy expensive equipment when a TF100 is accurate and cost-effective for the majority of forum users in the residential pool owners audience.

I understand. I am a newbie to owning a pool. We bought a home with a pool a couple of months ago, and this site has been wonderful. It has helped me turn a green swamp into a pool again. I order the TF100 kit as recommended and have had success with it except for the PH testing. If I did not have access to the PH pen I have, I would continue with perfecting my ability to utilize the OTO testing. I would not invest in a high quality PH pen for my pool alone. I was asking purely for my instance and not trying to recommend a PH pen purchase for anyone.

8. Back To Top    #8

Go for it then I would suggest to confirm your results regularly with the TF100 pH test, which will let you know if it requires re-calibration
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I would not invest in a high quality PH pen for my pool alone
    I think that sort of answers your question. The initial cost and calibration of a high quality electronic tester isn't practical for most pool owners and the cheap ones can be good or quite terrible.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I would not invest in a high quality PH pen for my pool alone
    I think that sort of answers your question. The initial cost and calibration of a high quality electronic tester isn't practical for most pool owners and the cheap ones can be good or quite terrible.

Not really. It was never a question of purchasing one. I did get my answer though, thanks. It sounds as if the pen I have access to use would be accurate but yet I should practice the OTO testing as well.

11. Back To Top    #11

The k1000 test kit that comes with the tf100 kit is pretty crappy for testing pH in my opinion. I know my pH is somewhere between 7.2 and 7.5 but there is no way I can tell where it is between them.
    16 x 32 Vinyl IGP ~22000 G

12. Back To Top    #12

There's the good part however of this test.....it doesn't matter really. Those levels are just fine if they're close in that range. We're spoiled by knowing the EXACT number with the other drop based tests, that when there is a test that requires a user "guess" it becomes tuff. In the long run however....there's little difference between a reading of 7.2 and of 7.8 in the majority of pools.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo
    There's the good part however of this test.....it doesn't matter really. Those levels are just fine if they're close in that range. We're spoiled by knowing the EXACT number with the other drop based tests, that when there is a test that requires a user "guess" it becomes tuff. In the long run however....there's little difference between a reading of 7.2 and of 7.8 in the majority of pools.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo
    Well I guess that is good to know, but like u said, it is nice to know the exact numbers
    16 x 32 Vinyl IGP ~22000 G

15. Back To Top    #15

Maybe try adding an extra drop of reagent?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/exten...ns-t25081.html

"Some people find that adding an extra drop of reagent, or adjusting the color with either the acid demand or base demand reagents, helps them determine the color more precisely."
    1992 15X30 14000 Gal IG plaster, Pentair 011018 - Intelliflo VS Pump with Timer, 350 lb Sta-rite hrpb30 sand (yeah, the 32-bolt clamshell)