How long can pool stay clear with no filter?? Missing parts!

jlsr

May 22, 2012
We put up our new 27' x 54" round pool last weekend, and have been filling it since Sunday AM. We are filling from our well and it has been a slow process since we don't have the best water pressure. Today we opened the box to assemble the pump and filter and its missing the connector hose and all of the hardware for the base :grrrr: . Of course I am panicking.

I can't call poolsupplyworld.com until morning about the missing parts. Last night and tonight I mixed a gallon of 8.25% bleach with water in a bucket and went around the pool dumping it in, got in and swished it around in the pool with my leaf skimmer. We are supposed to get a cold front in tonight and have very cold temps Thursday and Thursday night and rain.

Here are my numbers tonight (yes, I have TF100 :) )

FC - 10
CC - 0
PH - 7.2
CYA - 0
Water temp - 79

I didn't do the other tests yet.

Do you think we'll be ok until the weekend without a filter? Even if they were to overnight the missing parts it would be Friday night at the earliest that we could hook up the pump and filter.

The good news is, we were able to get it level within 1/8" all the way around .
Any advice on keeping the pool from turning green without a filter and pump would be so appreciated! Thanks all.

Re: How long can pool stay clear with no filter?? Missing pa

Do you have an opaque cover (like a winter cover), put that on and it will help (or even a solar cover will help a little). Adding chlorine everyday and stirring it like you did can work, but make sure you stir well as to not bleach your liner. With 0 cya it is unlikely you will be able to maintain a residual during the sunlight hours without a opaque cover. You can also put an algaecide in (we recommend polyquat60) for now.

Good news is, if you do get something, once you have your pump/filter running, we can help you clear it.

Mine stayed clear about a week after hurricane Rita. Then again I added chlorine and swam to mix it everyday just to cool off. Look at it this way... If you do run into problems it CAN be cleared. As long as you follow the advice here. You can't get advice here and the pool store without getting confused and going around in circles.

Thanks very much for the reply, linen. No we don't have a cover. If PSW can't overnight the missing parts I may go buy a cover at a pool store tomorrow. I have CYA granules; could I dissolve them in a bucket of water, dump in the pool, and stir like I did the bleach? I have now ruined two outfits btw slinging buckets of bleach water into the pool. The pool wall is almost as tall as me :)

I do have the Intex 2600GPH pump and filter that we bought last year for our little pool that maybe I can figure out how to hook it up to the skimmer and return. Neither hubby nor I know much about plumbing. It has screw on ends on the hoses though and the skimmer/return on the new one don't have threads.

I guess its good news at least the CC is 0.

Thanks again!

With 0 CYA in the pool, I would try to keep the FC down around 2-3ppm (add it in the evening). 10 FC risks bleaching the liner BUT only because you have no CYA.

Thanks jcowart, your post makes me feel better! Thanks to this website and the great articles posted here, we had a very good experience last year with the 14' intex and BBB that I have not even gone to a pool store except to buy a pool cleaner last year. I try to avoid them!

Ok I am going to stop panicking now because I know if some crud does get started in there y'all will be able to help me clear it up quickly!

I'm heading to the attic now to find those old leg weights we used to have for exercising! Hopefully they would be heavy enough to keep the hoses in the water. I don't know what the HP is on the intex filter but it used to make waves in the little pool. Right now the pool water level is at 1 inch below the bottom of the skimmer. we were going to finish filling it tonight after we installed the pump.

Thanks duraleigh, I will be more careful putting bleach in the pool. I guess I panicked and over-did it.

I have CYA granules; could I dissolve them in a bucket of water, dump in the pool, and stir like I did the bleach?
The granules won't dissolve well at all and it's not a good idea to let them sit on the pool floor. If you could get 10-15 ppm liquid CYA in there, it would make your chlorine additions a lot safer.

Thanks so much! I will look for some liquid CYA tomorrow . Poolcalculator.com will tell me how much to add, correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Just think, our pool here in mn sits with no filtration for several months. We do just what you are...we check the water occasionally, and toss in some bleach when needed. I put pool rover in to stir it up and get the debris out.

Also, for the experts here, does she need to dilute the bleach before adding? I've always just poured from the bottle. Makes it way easier I would think. Just asking...

Oh, and you may want to have some "pool care" outfits. I have 7 shirts that have either a hole or bleach stains. I just put one on in the morning, check the pool levels, and do my cares before getting ready for work.

Maybe not appropriate, but my family always knows when I've checked the pool in the morning. The dew on the top rail just so happens to line up with my bust when I lean over to get the water sample :) top rail on pool no longer wet, but my top is!

MNPoolDreamer said:
Just think, our pool here in mn sits with no filtration for several months. We do just what you are...we check the water occasionally, and toss in some bleach when needed. I put pool rover in to stir it up and get the debris out.
FYI...as you know I am in mn as well. I do not add bleach until I open (I use an opaque winter cover until I open). I open when the temperature of the pool water is consistently at 55-60F (if pool water gets above 60F consistently, even with an opaque cover, the risk of stuff growing is significant without chlorine). Up here it really is useful to have a winter cover since our weather can go up and down so much in the fall and the spring. In the spring, one day can be briefly warm enough to open the pool, and the next day we might be in a long cold spell that might do plumbing damage. So the cover allows delaying the opening until the likelihood of long cold snaps is low.

[s:16lmaurj]
MNPoolDreamer said:
Also, for the experts here, does she need to dilute the bleach before adding? I've always just poured from the bottle. Makes it way easier I would think. Just asking...
I don't think the op was doing that. I think the op was refering to the bucket in relation to the cya, and was referring to stirring the pool water when adding the bleach and cya.[/s:16lmaurj]oops...FPM pointed it out that the op did said that

OP:
jlsr said:
Last night and tonight I mixed a gallon of 8.25% bleach with water in a bucket and went around the pool dumping it in, got in and swished it around in the pool with my leaf skimmer.

You can just pour straight from the bottle as long as you have a way to mix it in. If the Intex pump doesn't work - what about a submersible pump? They have them at home depot etc for less than $100. That's what I use when I open cause sometimes (like this year) takes me more than 1 day to get things set up - I took cover off yesterday but probably won't get pump hooked up till Saturday. I just run it for a few hours to circulate the chemicals.

Its what I use to drain the water off the top of the cover too, prior to removal - so it gets other uses...

hi, just a quick update since I'm at work. Pool fc same as last night. it's cold and cloudy here today so I should be ok. after scrutinizing the hoses on the index filter I think I May be able to hook it to the skimmer and return if I can find correct o rings at hardware today at lunch. I also have the tiny all in one filter pump that came with the intex pool so I was thinking of using that one to, having it pump on the opposite side of the pool.

I I'll add appropriate amount of cya tonight.

if I can't find an adapter that will allow me to screw on the intex hose will it leak if I just put o ring on the pipe and hook up index hose end to pipe on bottom of skimmer ?

I had to use my old intex as a stopgap when my IG motor went. I just put it on the deck and duct-taped an old laptop battery to the intake hose and let it dangle in the water. Then I hooked my vac hose to the output and ran it to the opposite side of the pool to maximize circulation. After 10 days, the pool was still crystal clear even though I have 28k gals and the little Intex was from a 7k donut pool. I let it run 24/7.

The hard part was getting it to prime, but once I did I just let it run. I left the top off the cartridge and filled with a garden hose. Then I got the pump running and put the top back on.

that's awesome durk! I got o rings at lunch today so I hope to hook up the Intex tonight . my worry is that the connection from hose to part sticking out of the skimmer won't hold.

jlsr said:
that's awesome durk! I got o rings at lunch today so I hope to hook up the Intex tonight . my worry is that the connection from hose to part sticking out of the skimmer won't hold.

I'm sure there are ways to do it. If you need help, I suggest you post a pic of both pieces and I'm sure the folks here can make suggestions. It's a little hard to help when we don't know what you have. I'm not even sure what you are doing with the o-rings because I don't know how the skimmer terminates.Otherwise, you can always plug the skimmer and do it my way if you can get the Intex next to the pool.

Well, using the intex pump is not going to work. hoses are too short and it won't connect to the skimmer or return securely. pool supply world is working on the part issue.

pool was at 1.5 FC last night. it was very cold last night so I left it alone. added enough bleach this am to take it to 5FC. water is still clear however there was quite a few leaves and tree fuzzies in there this am, so I got as much out as I could.

Yes I wore my bleaching outfit :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.