Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Horrible Nebraska weather

1. Back To Top    #1

Horrible Nebraska weather

It is snowing in May. We opened our pool a week ago and have it looking great. Clear, sparkly, balanced water thanks to BBB and the Trouble Free Pool website. The weatherman says it will get down to 32 tonight and 29 tomorrow night. I will leave my new Pentair Intelliflow pump running. Is there anything else I should do to avoid damage from a freeze?
    24,000 Gal In Ground pool
    Vinyl Liner; Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG
    Raypak Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Horrible Nebraska weather

Just keep a little water moving and you will be fine .... that may not get cold enough for long enough to cause any problem even if you did not run the pump. It takes many hours well below freezing before anything would freeze solid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

as jbliz said, you will be fine...it does not look like it will get cold enough long enough to cause any trouble.

Just out of curiosity, why are you open this early?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

It seemed like a good idea at the time. Yesterday it was 80 degrees. Last year at this time we were already swimming.
    Vinyl Liner; Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Raypak Gas Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Dang.........still too cool to jump in here in Texas! Ok..I'm a wimp! Pool temp hit 78 today--won't last. Back down in the 40's here tomorrow night. Plum freaky.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Unless I have some work to do on the pool, I wait until 55-60F water temp before I open (I have an opaque winter cover).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Even with our unseasonably cool Spring, water temp was 56 degrees the day we opened on April 24th. On the bright side, the water was pretty clean and didn't take much effort at all to get it in shape. I wouldn't have minded not swimming for a while if I could just go out and putter around the pool. Call me strange, but I love testing, brushing and keeping it pristine. Not as much fun testing the water with a winter coat on!
    Vinyl Liner; Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Raypak Gas Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

I hear you on the puttering...I should have said that I wait until the pool temp is consistently 55-60F for a few days.