Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: liner issue

1. Back To Top    #1

liner issue

im having a liner replaced and the walls bubbled at the bottom of the shallow end and they had to drain and reset it. now the bottom of the walls are not flush again maybe 5 inches away from walls a little better then before but I don't think that's normal. my old liner was flush around all the walls I think this liner is a bit to small the paper says its 20x39 is that normal for a 20x40 pool? (Grecian). this is not good I cant have these air pckets at the botoom of the walls there will be countless holes popped in the liner. im filling pool right now they cut the staircase out today but will be another day before water reaches the shallow end and I am afraid it will have to be drained again I don't think the weight of the water will push the liner in as it seems its already at its full stretch point any insight on this would really be great. thanks
    20x40 IG vinyl, grecian style, 32.5k gal, hayward ec75a perflex d.e. hayward super pump 1 hp 80 gpm, 8 hr 38k gal turnaround

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: liner issue

I think you will have to wait to see if it fits...until there is water in the shallow end and some sun to stretch it. is it only off the wall on the short end or also on the long sides?

I do not know for sure, but I would think 40' should be 40', not 39'.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

In math terms, that's still about a 2% stretch factor length wise.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Some of our liner manufacturers tell us that liners will stretch to double their stated size without damaging the liner. Now for what I think when the sun gets on it, and water temps increase above 70 degrees you will probably only have a fond memory of the problem you are fretting over.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    In math terms, that's still about a 2% stretch factor length wise.

do any installers use 20x39 liners I did a search and its really vaigue. I suspect this is the wrong size liner, this would be a custom liner and I do not have a custom pool its a 20x40 just measured three times to make perfectly sure and I already new this.
    20x40 IG vinyl, grecian style, 32.5k gal, hayward ec75a perflex d.e. hayward super pump 1 hp 80 gpm, 8 hr 38k gal turnaround

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp
    Some of our liner manufacturers tell us that liners will stretch to double their stated size without damaging the liner. Now for what I think when the sun gets on it, and water temps increase above 70 degrees you will probably only have a fond memory of the problem you are fretting over.
    sun been on it for two days 70 here, its been 8 days in total they been working on this, they have sand bags trying to push down on the air pockets but its still not working.its a little more then fretting when im about to pay $4000 for a possible future liner nightmare.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Did the installer come out and measure your pool before ordering your liner?
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

8. Back To Top    #8

I turned the water off and am putting the kibosh this job, cut my losses before my water bill goes into the thousands.

9. Back To Top    #9

How expensive is your water? Many places water is about $0.005/gallon, making it about $150 to fill your pool. If you have a sewer charge, often the municipality will waive that if you call then and tell them you are filling a pool.

I sure would give it a chance, it sound like it is close (5 inches) and should stretch (come sunlight and warmer daytime temps). Since you are using an installer, there should be some guarantee in there work that may include water costs...especially if they did the measurements.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.