Mustard Algae questions

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
Dallas, TX
Hello, all.

I have read the Mustard Algae article in the Solving Problems area of Pool School, wherein it recommends removing the light in order to scrub out the niche, which seems reasonable. I'm guessing without that step any amount of shocking, even at mustard levels, would be wasted effort and money.

Here's my dilemma: That job is pretty far down my priority list by necessity, which brings up the following questions.

1. Is mustard algae a health concern for swimmers, or just an eyesore? If not, I guess I'll just keep brushing it off occasionally until I get time to do the full routine.

2. It's presence has not noticeably increased the FC demand. Is that normal?

3. Although it brushes off readily, I could swear that a faint yellow tinge remains in the plaster where it was. Does MA "embed" itself in the plaster the way black algae does?

TIA,
Beez

MA isn't dangerous to humans. It's really just a plant and there are no toxins that come from it that I am aware of. As far as the plaster goes, I think that as plaster ages and the pores in the surface get larger, things get trapped more readily.

What about the FC demand? I find it a little surprising that it doesn't seem to have much effect on it.

Today, FC was within range for my CYA level, but I decided to brush off the existing algae (not much). I expected the now free floating algae to consume a significant amount of FC, so in anticipation I added bleach before I brushed. Checked FC level again several hours later, and it was right about where it should have been considering the amount of added bleach...no significant loss.

Are you sure you aren't dealing with pollen? You're up here with me and pollen is a big issue. You've been around here for a while too so I'll bet you don't have MA.

I understand, but it definitely isn't pollen. It grows. Slowly, but predictably, and always in the same shady places in the pool despite proper FC level. Always in the same pattern even.

It's true I've been around a long time, but last year was a tough one for me and the pool suffered. Don't know how I got lucky enough to get a case of the mustards though, because it never got as bad as a swamp. Just didn't keep a close eye and FC got very low several times. Thought I got control over it during the winter when I shocked and kept the FC higher than normal, but no goodsky.

MA is a nuisance that can get out of control if the pool owner lets it. If its not bothering you and you are staying on top of it... eh, up to you if you want to go through the MA shock process. just keep in mind it can be transferred to other peoples pools on swimsuits, etc. ... just thought worth mentioning. Hope you are well Beez ;-)

frustratedpoolmom said:
MA is a nuisance that can get out of control if the pool owner lets it. If its not bothering you and you are staying on top of it... eh, up to you if you want to go through the MA shock process.
That's basically the conclusion I have come to, just wanted to double check with the experts! I'll do the MA shock when I have time to do it properly, with the light niche and all.
frustratedpoolmom said:
just keep in mind it can be transferred to other peoples pools on swimsuits, etc. ... just thought worth mentioning.
No worries, I don't swim around... :oops: ...and I don't wear a swimsuit! :cool:
frustratedpoolmom said:
Hope you are well Beez ;-)
Thanks for that, FPM! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.