Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pole for Net or Brush. Which one is best?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pole for Net or Brush. Which one is best?

I currently have a Pentair adjustable Pole that was furnished by my PB for the pool brush and pool net. It looks fairly heavy duty and has a locking nut. It is very frustrating that when brushing the pool the pole begins to collapse even after tightening it as much as I can.
    What is the best pole you have used? Are some much better than others? I would be willing to get a non-adjustable pole to use to avoid the frustration. I have considered installing a screw to lock the pole but don't know what type of screw to use to not cause any corrosion and not cause any cuts and scrapes to my hands. I have heard that the fiberglass poles cause irritation to your hands while sliding back and forth across your hands.
    My pool is 15' Wide X 36' Long so the pole should be able to reach the center drain from the long ends while brushing.
    I know someone out there has to of invented a better mousetrap/pole.
    21,500 gal sport pool, 8' spa, beach, 400k btu LP heater, Pentair IC60 SWG & #300 Tablet Feeder, 60 sqft DE filter, Paramount in-floor PoolValet 3 cleaners, Debris Canister, Polaris 360, Pentair VFD 3hp pump, IntelliPh, Geysers & Turbo Twister Slide w/1 hp pump, Color LED Pool & Spa lights, E-Z Touch8 control system, Wireless controller. Test Kits:TF-100, Taylor K-1004, CYA K-1720, Phosphate K-1106, Salt Water K-1766, Hach CN-39WR.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pole for Net or Brush. Which one is best?

I am glad you asked this question because I have the same problem. I would love to know what pole to buy that will last more than six months!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA
    I am glad you asked this question because I have the same problem. I would love to know what pole to buy that will last more than six months!
    I searched the forums here as well as google, If you're willing to spend the coin, it appears as though "skimlite" is highly regarded after a cursory search.
    ~31k gallon 18x36 IG, Vinyl LoopLoc Sahara, Hayward C-750 75sq' Cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS3050, SGS Breeze760 SWG, Homemade Aerators, SmartPool Nitro 52 Wall Climber, TFT100 XL, Borates, and a partridge in a pear tree :)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

After going through 2 inexpensive poles in 2 seasons, I finally broke down and got one that cost me about $70.00 ( I can't remember the brand and the label is long gone)...It's a 20 footer, retractable.

It's fiberglass and has held up perfectly for 6 years now. I hate spending money but it was a lesson well learned.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Throwin' this out there..............How about adapting one of those pole saw poles used for pruning trees? How about adapting one used for painting with a roller?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

I just drilled a hole through mine and stick a clip in there when it's extended to where I need it to vacuum. The collar seems okay on the pull stroke, it only collapses on pushing. I think I paid 50 at the hardware store. It just looks like a big safety pin.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Mine's aluminum and extendable. That thing is never going to break or give me trouble. It's the "old school" one.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

Go green! Cut you a big ole piece of bamboo and lash the net on the end.....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by spidey07
    Mine's aluminum and extendable. That thing is never going to break or give me trouble. It's the "old school" one.
    The really old school didn't extend. Our 1946 model was 2-piece and screwed together like a pool cue. The skimmer frame was solid aluminum and screwed on, too. It was maybe a 3/4" thread on each end. It weighed a ton and lasted almost fifty years until my brother drove the tractor over it. That was back when vac hoses were canvas-covered wire and had copper ball floats to keep from sinking.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, I went to Home Depot today to find one of those 1/4" safety pin looking things and while I was there I walked down the screw isle. I saw a bin labeled Aluminum screws and started looking thru it. I found a #10 X 1" self tapping Aluminum sheet metal screw so I bought the package of 2 for 74 cents. Since my pool pole was aluminum, I figured by using an aluminum screw there would be no dissimilar metals to cause corrosion. I got home and took the extension pole apart and marked 8" and re-inserted it into the other half and tightened the lock nut, installed the brush and proceded to brush the pool to check for ideal pole length. I installed the newly acquired #10 X 1" aluminum sheet metal screw right below the lock nut on the top side. (Because it was easy to install the screw on the top side). I then turned the brush over so the screw would be on the bottom and less likely to rub on my hand. I brushed the pool with no worries of the pole collapsing and had great joy that my pool pole problem had been resolved. If you can consider brushing the pool a great joy.
    21,500 gal sport pool, 8' spa, beach, 400k btu LP heater, Pentair IC60 SWG & #300 Tablet Feeder, 60 sqft DE filter, Paramount in-floor PoolValet 3 cleaners, Debris Canister, Polaris 360, Pentair VFD 3hp pump, IntelliPh, Geysers & Turbo Twister Slide w/1 hp pump, Color LED Pool & Spa lights, E-Z Touch8 control system, Wireless controller. Test Kits:TF-100, Taylor K-1004, CYA K-1720, Phosphate K-1106, Salt Water K-1766, Hach CN-39WR.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mnittler
    Well, I went to Home Depot today to find one of those 1/4" safety pin looking things and while I was there I walked down the screw isle. I saw a bin labeled Aluminum screws and started looking thru it. I found a #10 X 1" self tapping Aluminum sheet metal screw so I bought the package of 2 for 74 cents. Since my pool pole was aluminum, I figured by using an aluminum screw there would be no dissimilar metals to cause corrosion. I got home and took the extension pole apart and marked 8" and re-inserted it into the other half and tightened the lock nut, installed the brush and proceded to brush the pool to check for ideal pole length. I installed the newly acquired #10 X 1" aluminum sheet metal screw right below the lock nut on the top side. (Because it was easy to install the screw on the top side). I then turned the brush over so the screw would be on the bottom and less likely to rub on my hand. I brushed the pool with no worries of the pole collapsing and had great joy that my pool pole problem had been resolved. If you can consider brushing the pool a great joy.
    I like being able to shorten my pole when I use it to skim and brush the spa.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

I had figured on getting another pole anyway so the wife could use the net while I was brushing.
    You know what they say "The family that skims together stays together."

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by mnittler
    If you can pull a kid or adult out with the pole you're doing it right.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon