Do sequestrants bind calcium & release it as they degrade?

gtemkin

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Seattle, WA
I've watched my calcium level slowly increase from 280 to 380 over the last month and a half and I was wondering if this can be partially explained by degradation of a sequestrant (Jack's Purple) that was added back then. I've added no water or chemicals other than straight bleach and muriatic acid. The pool has been covered almost all the time except for cleaning, or the 3 or 4 times that my wife used it for lap exercise.

The finish is relatively new (Oct 2012) and unfortunately had a "light" acid wash to eliminate a large calcium chloride stain at start of that month and a half ago time frame.

Is the calcium rise due to the normal break-in of a new and/or acid washed finish or am I am I seeing some effect of the sequestrant.

Thanks

Re: Do sequestrants bind calcium & release them as they degr

Sequestrants do degrade over time and release whatever they're binding back into the water. If you read the instructions you'll see that you have to add manitenance doses on a regular basis. I suspect it may be a combination of the new plaster and the sequestrant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.