whitedog4

whitedog4

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2013
Lansing, MI
Greetings from Mid-Michigan and THANK YOU for this site! It has been a wealth of information for me and I look forward to contributing my experiences and some pics when we're up and running for the year.
Last year upgraded from a 12' Intex Easy Set AGP to a 12' X 30" Intex Metal Frame AGP w/ 1,718 gal.
Need to address leveling issues, but nothing a rototiller, sweat and tamping won't cure.
Will be using 3/4" foam insulation for the first time: 4.5 sheets at 4'x8'/sheet, then taping seams and using heavy duty tarp.
Will be upgrading from canister filter pump @ 530gph to 14", .5hp Intex Sand Filter pump @ 1,600gph.
My question (and I understand if it needs to be posted elsewhere): has anyone had any experience with a DIY Solar Setup like this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XHOvZqzSzU
I am thinking that given the overkill with the new pump flow rate vs. existing pool size, it could output to 200' of 5/8" tubing coiled 20' away from pump, up on 10' garage roof. Concerns are maintaining filtration quality and avoiding pump burn-out. I am on a budget (2 small kids) and would like to avail myself of an existing heat source in order to get my wife in a warmed-up pool.
Thanks again,
WD4

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well the video did not even bother to show the solar heater.

Solar heating is all about the area exposed to the sun. Previous owner of my house had 2500' of 1" pipe all over the roof and overlapping ... it did OK, but was always fighting leaks. Now I have over double the area in panels.

What you describe is only 10 sqft if you got it laid out flat ... that will not do much heating. There are 2x20' panels on ebay that will give you 4 times the area for < $100.

Generally you get more heat for your $ by buying some of the actual solar panels instead of trying to make something.

Thanks for the welcome, Jason. And this is why I joined!
About 1:25 into the video he has a brief view of, and describes, 800' of 1/2" tubing. He claims a 20 degree increase with a much larger pool than mine, hence my proposed decrease on coil length, but you have a great point about the square footage needed. I guess I like this valve because you can control the return rate of solar-heated water.
I would greatly prefer not running away and up from the pump (and avoiding a build) but I don't have the right set-up for panels next to the pool. Other youtubers have posted similar roof-coil setups and have also claimed 20+ degree increases (with my smaller-size pool compared to yours). I may increase the coil size but yes, am wary of leaks.
Tx,
WD4

There were other things in the video I did not like ... for example the black Y pipe is for drainage and not likely rated to be under pressure.

Any solar setup have valves in place to allow you to divert all or part of the flow through the solar. In reality, you get more heat with higher flow rates through the solar.

I did not listen to the video, but if he was seeing a 20 degree rise in water temp between the in and out flow ... then it was likely not a very high flow rate. Ideally you would want to only see a couple degree rise between the in and out flow of the solar. You get more heat in the pool by raising a lot of water a few degrees than a little water a lot of degrees.

Thanks- things I didn't know. I will have to consider making room for a panel, as based on what I've learned my 12' pool should have 113 sq ft.. a 400 sq ft panel is over 3X the surface area and sitting next to the pool for high flow rate it should provide at least 10 degrees increase with the pump upgrade. Understanding factors such as amount of available sun and pump activity will affect this. Is a solar cover a needed item to pair with the insulated bottom? I know I'll lose heat through the sides....
I hope you don't mind that I borrowed your signature format.

the 2x20' panel is 40 sqft ... NOT 400 sqft.

Most of the heat is lost through evaporation, so using a cover will help retain a lot of heat.

For example, about a month ago I was seeing about 5 degree rise in my pool during the day, but was losing 4-5 degrees at night because I do not have a cover.