Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
I have a 1.5hp Pentair Whisperflo, single speed. It's 5 years old, no real problems. I'm thinking of buying a "spare" for when it dies so I can do a quick swap. Can a 2 speed whisperflow be "swapped" without much rewiring effort? I like the idea of running twice as long at half the speed, but don't want to waste the extra $300-$400 for 2 speed if it's not worth it. No water features, and probably getting a robot soon.

You could actually just buy a replacement 2-speed motor ... no need to replace the wet end if it is fine.

Really a 1.5HP Whisperflo seems like over-kill for your pool. You could replace with a smaller 2-speed motor and a smaller impeller. Or go with a smaller 2-speed pump like the Superflo.

Is your current motor 115V or 230V? You would need to add a manual switch (there are some motor end caps that have the switch). But, the voltage may affect what motors are available to you.

BTW, the Superflo comes with a manual switch installed.

Thanks. I'll have to look when I get home. I always thought everything was a bit of overkill. All 2" pipe, 48' DE filter, 1.5 hp... all seem a bit much for a 15K gallon pool. It is about 45' from the pool/skimmer, but that's not that far. Smaller motor = less EE use!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.