Yet again, a robot question...

Apr 8, 2013
Hello, all, I have been using a dolphin diagnostic 2001 for the last ten years.

Unfortunately for me it has finally given up the ghost.

So my search has begun anew.
First i have to say maytronics marketing is so confusing it makes it hard to purchase anything from them.

I am open to almost nay brand, but am seriously looking at the dolphin supreme m4, m5 and the dolphin evolution x5 from epic.

I cant tell the differences between most of the dolphin line via different channels.

Here is what i understand and may be wrong, correct me if i am.
the dolphin m4,m5, seem to be an attempt at a user serviceable unit, however i cant find much in the way of pricing for replacement parts as in motors and pumps. I have no idea of the future service record, or how they may last.

Is their anything different about the pumps and motors on them?

the dolphin evolution seems to be a re branding of the commercial wave 100, ok still dont know what makes it commercial seems to have the same specks as my 10 year old diagnostic??

I would like a remote that is useful so that leaves the m4 on the edge, i did have issues with the dolphin high siding on my bottom drain, hence my interest in the m4,m5, will the 3rd brush stop that?

pricing, epic lists the x5 at 999 plus 99 for the remote, not cheap, at all, so 1100 with remote i could be wrong but seems like a re brand of the old diagnostic?
the m4, lists at 1200 with 100 rebate so 1100 but i have to drive 1.5 hours to get it. pay sales tax..
the m5 is 1500 with 150 rebate. so 1350 drive 1.5 hours to get it. pay sales tax

I am in the northeast, in Pa. I have opened the pool already so i could use the cleaner asap, and the x5 isnt available until may 15th..

Does anyone have any advise, bags vs cart, pool is 18x36 with diving well, and steps off the shallow, i dont expect the cleaner to clean,

I am leaning towards the x5, but i really want it now, next would be the m5, but it seems new, with unknown track record, and expensive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Eric

Dolphin marketing is horribly confusing, partly because they produce separate models for different geographic regions and/or resellers and then update them annually. It comes across as schizophrenic. Both dolphin and aquabot make high quality robots. I'd suggest identifying the closest robot repair center that you have confidence in and ask them what current models they recommend and support. We purchased a dolphin deluxe 5 a few years ago because our local leslies has some resources to deal with common repairs. So far the dx5 has been performing perfectly. I guess we'd just get another dolphin if ours died after 10 years of good performance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.