Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New owner, will open a pool soon.

1. Back To Top    #1

Albuquerque, NM

New owner, will open a pool soon.

Hi, everyone,
    We just bought a short sale house. The pool probably is not used for two years. I just opened the cover. Water doesn't look too bad. Clear, but a little green (at least I can see the bottom). However, there are a lot of stuffs on the bottom. I never own a pool. So, there are lot of things to learn. In skimmer, there is a pipe stick out. Is this for vacuum? How can I remove it to put skimmer basket in? When I turn on the pump, should I just vacuum the pool bottom stuffs to drain first,or just let filter take care that? Should I shock the pool until I clean up the pool or shock then clean? I saw a test kit (Taylor K-2105) in pool room from previous owner. Do I need buy all new solutions or old solutions are still ok? Sorry, too many questions. Thanks.
    16500 G Ingound / SPA, FNSP-48 DE Filter, 2 HP WhisperFlo pump / 2HP Jet.
    8 Port Caretaker 99 in floor cleaning, Automatic cover.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: New owner, will open a pool soon.

Welcome to TFP!!!

Most of your questions regarding the chemistry (although you have not asked yet ) can be found by reading Pool School (button at the upper right). This will be a lot of information, but after reading it a few times, things should start to stick ... and we are here to answer questions.

Generally it is a good idea to get new testing reagents every few years. Also, that kit does not contain the most important test, the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Order one of the kits we recommend (see link in my signature) ... the TF100 is the better valve, although new members tend to not listen to this advice and then run out of some of the reagents quickly and then have to order more and wait ... we can only make recommendations

Order the kit as soon as you can and then post a full set of results.

In the meantime, read Pool School and see if all the equipment is working.

I am not sure what the stick in the skimmer is ... it could be something for winterizing and should likely unscrew.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: New owner, will open a pool soon.

I agree with Jason - that's probably a winterization plug that should unscrew out.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner