Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Existing plumbing re-do - Sizing Questions.

1. Back To Top    #1

Existing plumbing re-do - Sizing Questions.

So the time has come to redo the plumbing on the pool. Does the sizing the looking correct in the attached picture? High level - there is 2" coming from the skimmers and main drain to filter. From the Filter it steps down to 1.5" then steps up to 2" at the SPA/POOL return valve.

Also I was thinking I should install a Spa make-up valve are there pros/cons? and what should the pipe sizing be?

Any feedback would help.

Its a 40k pool with FNS PLUS and 2hp Pentair
    Attached Images Attached Images
    35000 gallon inground, 2hp Whisperflo, Pentair FNS Plus, Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Existing plumbing re-do - Sizing Questions.

It does not make a huge difference, but stick with 2" everywhere you are replacing pipe ... especially on the suction side .... in fact you could run 2.5" between the last suction valve and the pump so two 2" pipes are not merging into a single 2" (not worth redoing if you are not already).

The Spa make-up is just for some overflow right? You can achieve the same thing by just not closing off the spa return valve completely.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ahh - Thanks that is a good point - I do need to redo that section of piping. It is current leaking at the pump. Keeping everything else at 2" would make my life easier...

4. Back To Top    #4

I would suggest moving the pump over in line with the suction valve and thus removing 2 90 degree turns. And put a union in that pipe and on on the vertical above the pump ... then you can fix a leak on the pump without replumbing.

There are a LOT of turns in you suction lines ... can not think of a clever way to reduce them yet though ... fewer turns the better.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

One more thing pumps perform best if they have some length of straight pipe feeding into the inlet side (suction side), there is a formula for this, but rule of thumb is 6 times the diameter of the feed pipe, so if you have 2 inch feeding the pump, you want a foot of straight pipe before any elbows or fittings.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes I noticed the elbows also on the suction side. I think to fix it I would have to do a lot digging...

What do you suggest for unions and I was going to with Schedule 80 for both sides of the pump.

BTW - of course my HD doesn't have the 2.5 PVC.... I guess its supply house time for that item.

Thanks Guys - keep the info coming!

7. Back To Top    #7

Why Sch 80? Any regular Sch 40 union should be fine.

You really do not have to go up to 2.5" pipe, it will not likely make any noticeable difference for just the straight pipe.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

For the elbows close to the suction side of the pump, you could turn the pump 90 degrees, and run an extra long U length of pipe into the suction fitting, should be the same number of turns as you have now, just spread out some.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

I thought you needed sch 80 cvpc for the connections to the pump because of heat.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I thought you needed sch 80 cvpc for the connections to the pump because of heat.
    Not at all.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for the help. Along with the plumbing the electrical needs to get re-done also - along the load center just being corroded beyond usability I didn't think it was a good idea to have the lights on a standard breaker (Along with the pump be a standard breaker also). So I am buying the parts and tearing into it next week.

Thanks Again!

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

I have never seen a pump on anything but a standard breaker, but I can certainly see the advantage of a GFCI breaker and a switch. Lights too....
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

13. Back To Top    #13

A GFCI breaker for the pump is required in some regions, optional in others, depending on which version of the electrical code they are using. Even if they are not required in your area, they are recommended.

Underwater lights have required a GFCI breaker just about everywhere for quite some time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

For the lights, is a GFCI "breaker" required ... or is wiring it after a GFCI "outlet" acceptable?

Mine had neither and changed it to use an outlet GFCI since the subpanel is actually round fuses. Wondering if I should change my method when the Pro Logic subpanel gets installed and use a breaker instead of powering the light off the outlet.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

FYI: 2008 NEC requires GFCI for Motors, lighting, outlets - its my entire panel All 2 Double pole 20's and 4 double pole 15's - yes I am enjoying the expense but safety first......

Jblizzle - Section 680.22 and 680.23 should cover your lighting questions.