Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction side air leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction side air leak

I've got a wicked air leak somewhere on startup this year. I'm running to get a replacement strainer pot oRing today for the pump (Pentair Whisperflow). I opened the suction ball valves (2 1 skimmer 1 pool bottom) and one of the valves is completely missing the ball seat and oRing. I had the pump replaced about 3 years ago before I decided to take on being my own pool man and I'm betting they just tightened the joint up with some wrench instead of replacing the parts they lost and I never knew better. I undid the unions last year in order to more easily fill the pipe running to the bottom of the pool with antifreeze when closing. I'm betting I didn't jack it down like they did so now I have an air leak.

So my question is, I found the mfr of the valve and they have rebuild kits for the valves (seats and o rings). But they sell 3 different version and I don't know which type of oRing I need. It looks like it is related to the TYPE of material the oRing is made of.

http://www.barrettsupply.com/barrett/sp ... kits.htm#3

Those are the rebuild kits but I don't know if I need BUNA-N, EPDM or VITON/FKM oRings.

Does anyone know what should be used in a pool valve? Or does it not matter?
    Neil

22,000 gallon vinyl in ground (17ft x 33ft) built in 1996, Pentair Whisperflo 1HP [2007] running into a Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 (75 GPM flow) [2007] and Rheem 266A Digital Gas Heater [2013], Liquidator [2013], full sun. And a UDS.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suction side air leak

Here is a comparison of the different types of rubbers:
    http://www.jjshort.com/Rubber-Properties.php

I think I would go EPDM based on that info.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Suction side air leak

I first took an o ring off a return valve and put it into the suction valve and viola... air leak repaired. So I guess I have an extra pot lid oRing! I opened it all back up and relubed it just for good measure.

Now I need to get a replacement for the return though as it's got a small drip since there's no oRing. I'm ok with that for now. Better than a pump 1/4 full of air!

I still hear what sounds like some air in the head. Does that seem like just normal water movement? I bled out the air in the system, so maybe that's just the water pressure.

Thanks for the help on which material to pick.
    Neil

22,000 gallon vinyl in ground (17ft x 33ft) built in 1996, Pentair Whisperflo 1HP [2007] running into a Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 (75 GPM flow) [2007] and Rheem 266A Digital Gas Heater [2013], Liquidator [2013], full sun. And a UDS.