outdoor concentrated bleach

Oct 9, 2011
I apparently picked up a bottle of the Home Depot brand outdoor concentrated bleach when I picked up regular bleach (they look very similar to someone trying to hurry and beat a thunderstorm). This jug makes up to 20 gallons. Can I use this in the pool after diluting it (or just straight) or is it better not to chance it?

Also, I'm thinking I am fighting mustard algae but not sure, the water is green and very cloudy, but is holding a pretty high FC. CC has been 0.5 nearly every time I've tested the last week since I started treating, except for a couple of times it's been 1.0. Readings from this morning:

FC 22
CC 1.0
CYA 40
ph 7.2

I added bleach to bring FC up to 24. When you go out to the pool you can smell the chlorine/bleach, and the readings are staying pretty high, I don't think it's been below the teens for several days. Do I just need to keep it at mustard level shock for a day, or several days, and be patient? Advice greatly appreciated! Previous algae treatments have always shown improvement within a couple of days, even though it took up to a week for the water to clear, but this time I have been shocking for a week and still not seeing much improvement yet.

You should avoid using the outdoor bleach. It contains a chlorine resistant detergent that can cause persistent foaming.

Nothing you have said suggests mustard algae. Mustard algae vanishes at regular shock levels, only to reappear as soon as you go back down to normal levels.

Sometimes it takes a little POP (pool owner patience) to deal with algae. You are using the right approach, just keep at it. Remember to brush the entire pool once a day while at shock level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.