Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Insulating walls if you have an auto-cover.

1. Back To Top    #1

Insulating walls if you have an auto-cover.

I have read numerous old posts regarding wall insulation, but could not find a topic that discussed auto-covers.

Installing an auto-cover will drastically reduce heat loss, assuming of course you keep it closed most of the time. I am thinking about installing 2 inch foam board on the outside surface of the steel walls, but I need a little advice.

Cost is zero. (I have free foam board)

FYI - We installed rolled foam between the liner and steel walls. (Came with pool kit)

In your opinion should I be concerned with condensation between steel and foam?

Any other thoughts / suggestions?
    Dave (Michigan)

20x40 IG, Auto Cover, Steel Walls 2R, Vinyl Liner, Hayward Pro Logic SWG, DE Filter, 2hp Pump, Color Logic Light, Diving Board, Typhoon Slide, 4 Jandy Deck Jets, Polaris 280, Hayward Propane Heater & Central Boiler With Heat Exchanger.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Insulating walls if you have an auto-cover.

This is interesting. I found a swimming pool insulation made from XPS (Styrozone H350r - whatever that is). They claim that polystyrene (foam board) will absorb water - unlike their product (of course). I will keep digging for info.
    Dave (Michigan)

20x40 IG, Auto Cover, Steel Walls 2R, Vinyl Liner, Hayward Pro Logic SWG, DE Filter, 2hp Pump, Color Logic Light, Diving Board, Typhoon Slide, 4 Jandy Deck Jets, Polaris 280, Hayward Propane Heater & Central Boiler With Heat Exchanger.

3. Back To Top    #3

I just looked up the Polystyrene insulated sheating I purchased from Lowes and the specs are - virtually no moisture absorbtion; 0.1%.
    Dave (Michigan)

4. Back To Top    #4

I wonder if it would make the liner more prone to get a hole on the sides. Like from someone pushing off with feet, or putting feet on side to push up to get out, big toe causing hole. My foam is thin, if it was thicker and still the same density, i could see that. I don't know how much give the stuff you have has, so maybe non-issue.

I wonder how much insulation value you would really gain, as you won't be able to do the floor, will you?

Most people will tell you the auto cover keeps your pool warmer by not letting water evaporate, vs. insulation. I'm not sure how much heat you would be losing to the ground through walls and floors, i mean it has to be some/a lot/ but i've no idea really.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

5. Back To Top    #5

Harleysilo - Thanks for the reply.

From what I have been reading, insulation is a highly debated topic. Personally I would be happy with any improvement in heat retention. I need all the help I can get in Michigan.

I have 2 inches of vermiculite on the floor, which should offer a little insulation I hope.
    Dave (Michigan)

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

In Missouri the only time we insulate the wall is on indoor pools. Then we use a spray on insulation on the back of the wall. We do install alot of auto covers and you do gain from them but you also have to keep rain water pumped off or it will suck the heat out of the pool.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics