Insulating walls if you have an auto-cover.

Apr 24, 2013
Parma / Michigan
I have read numerous old posts regarding wall insulation, but could not find a topic that discussed auto-covers.

Installing an auto-cover will drastically reduce heat loss, assuming of course you keep it closed most of the time. I am thinking about installing 2 inch foam board on the outside surface of the steel walls, but I need a little advice.

Cost is zero. (I have free foam board)

FYI - We installed rolled foam between the liner and steel walls. (Came with pool kit)

In your opinion – should I be concerned with condensation between steel and foam?

Any other thoughts / suggestions?

I wonder if it would make the liner more prone to get a hole on the sides. Like from someone pushing off with feet, or putting feet on side to push up to get out, big toe causing hole. My foam is thin, if it was thicker and still the same density, i could see that. I don't know how much give the stuff you have has, so maybe non-issue.

I wonder how much insulation value you would really gain, as you won't be able to do the floor, will you?

Most people will tell you the auto cover keeps your pool warmer by not letting water evaporate, vs. insulation. I'm not sure how much heat you would be losing to the ground through walls and floors, i mean it has to be some/a lot/ but i've no idea really.

Harleysilo - Thanks for the reply.

From what I have been reading, insulation is a highly debated topic. Personally I would be happy with any improvement in heat retention. I need all the help I can get in Michigan.

I have 2 inches of vermiculite on the floor, which should offer a little insulation – I hope.

In Missouri the only time we insulate the wall is on indoor pools. Then we use a spray on insulation on the back of the wall. We do install alot of auto covers and you do gain from them but you also have to keep rain water pumped off or it will suck the heat out of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.