Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need help with green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

need help with green pool

Hello everyone, I purchased a foreclosure home that has a pool (I think) in the backyard. All equipment was takeout but bank put in a filter and pump for me. Pool was uncover and didnít run for over a year. I am first time pool owner and attempt to get this thing up and going.
    Pass weekend collect most of leave and drain half of the water, refill the pool with tap water and shock pool with 12lb of chorine, water was milky white. When I start the pump everything was working, however flow slowdown so check the filter and pressure was above 35 PSI, clean filter and run another 15 minutes and flow slowdown again and pressure was back to above 35 psiÖ I probably clean filter more than 30 times already, but not improving. I assume water has too much particle for filter. is there something I can do settle particle to the bottom of pool so I can try to vacuum the floors?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    My spec of pool from Leslieís test
    Estimated 8000 gallon
    FC -4 (add 2 gallons of bleach last night)
    TC -4 (add 2 gallons of bleach last night)
    CH-200
    CYA-60
    TA-90
    PH-7

New Pump is Pentair 1hp chanllenger
    new filter is Pentair clean and clear 75 SQ
    I also order TF-100 test kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need help with green pool

Welcome! Great first post - we love pictures!

The problem as I see it is that the algae keeps reproducing, so as soon as you filter some out, more grows to replace it, and the filter continuously clogs. It's going to keep doing that until you get ahead of the algae growth via the shock process. You need to kill it off faster than it grows. A lot faster. I trust you've read pool school, because you know enough to drag out the debris and lower the CYA.

The shock level for that CYA (Those are your numbers from your own TF100, right?) is 18. So you'll need to keep dumping bleach in until FC = 18 and then recheck it and add more to keep it above 18 until it clears. Don't use any more powdered chlorine, you'll mess up what are otherwise decent chemical readings. Use liquid bleach. Reread How to perform the shock process in Pool School a few times.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldn't think that 15 minutes of run time would be enough to raise filter pressure that much. Are you sure you're done scooping out as much as possible? Is the skimmer basket clean? Is the pump strainer basket clean? If so, I'd start to suspect a clogged line maybe. And what Richard said above.^^^^^^

welcome to TFP!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Welcome! Great first post - we love pictures!

The problem as I see it is that the algae keeps reproducing, so as soon as you filter some out, more grows to replace it, and the filter continuously clogs. It's going to keep doing that until you get ahead of the algae growth via the shock process. You need to kill it off faster than it grows. A lot faster. I trust you've read pool school, because you know enough to drag out the debris and lower the CYA.

The shock level for that CYA (Those are your numbers from your own TF100, right?) is 18. So you'll need to keep dumping bleach in until FC = 18 and then recheck it and add more to keep it above 18 until it clears. Don't use any more powdered chlorine, you'll mess up what are otherwise decent chemical readings. Use liquid bleach. Reread How to perform the shock process in Pool School a few times.

test was done by Leslie's and have order tf100 but has not came in yet... i'll keep dump more bleach (not powder)and take it to Leslie's untill my test kit come in

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    I wouldn't think that 15 minutes of run time would be enough to raise filter pressure that much. Are you sure you're done scooping out as much as possible? Is the skimmer basket clean? Is the pump strainer basket clean? If so, I'd start to suspect a clogged line maybe. And what Richard said above.^^^^^^

welcome to TFP!
    i got most of large stuff out but can't get fine stuff, checked both basket and both had little but not much. i ran pump without the cartridge and pressure is normal so i would think nothing is clogged up, i hope.

thank you both for quick reply and welcome..

5. Back To Top    #5

That's what my pool looked like on sunday now it looks like this
    [img][/img]
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit http://tftestkits.net/
    Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP

6. Back To Top    #6

You might try a skimmer sock.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!