Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intellichlor SWG making how much chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Southeast Wisconsin

Intellichlor SWG making how much chlorine?

Regarding Intellichlor IC40: How much chlorine will this produce?
    Specifically, any rough math to equate chlorine production time to FC rise.

I can set this IC40 to any percentage of pump run time, so I can then figure how many minutes/hours the SWG is producing. So, it makes a certain volume of chlorine per minute or hour?

Bottom line - What ppm FC rise per minute or hour of run time in 13,300 gal assuming clean, covered water?
    13,300G fiberglass inground pool, 16x33ft Viking Lakeshore
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump
    Pentair TA100 sand filter with Zeobrite
    Pentair UltraTemp heat pump, IntelliChlor SWG
    Test kit: Taylor K-2006C

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intellichlor SWG making how much chlorine?

Don't have the precise answer, but I will give you my experience.

I have a ~18,500 Gallon pool. I ran my pump on low and kept my IC40 @ 20% (lowest possible). I had too much clorine produced. I noticed your pool is 13,300 gallons - so I'd anticipate you'll have the same issue. I'm going to try running my pool only 18 hours, and see if that rectifies the situation.

Good luck!
    17'x36' Freeform (Omni/Gemini shape) Polymer Vinyl Liner Pool; Made by Hydra Pools; 6' Water Depth; Cantilever Concrete Stamped Coping; 8' Radius White Step; 8' White Cozy Cove with 6 Jets; 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow 2-Speed Pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Cartridge Filter; Kreepy Krauly Legend Pool Sweep; 2 Skimmers; 4 Returns; 2" Rigid PVC; Pentair 5G LED Light; Pacific Ultra Mesh Safety Cover; Pentair Intellichlor IC 40; 3 Deck Jets

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

You don't need to know that. Set the percentage to something, wait a few days, measure the FC level, if it is too high turn the percentage down, if it is too low, turn the percentage up. That is what you will ultimately need to do in any case, even if you do the math to figure out chlorine production.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Murrieta, CA

JasonLion's answer is correct. Simple trial and error will let you zero in on a setting within a week or so.

I have a very similar setup to the OP's pool. My first season, I wound up running my IC40 at around 10-15 percent with the pool pump on about 12 hours per day. I found that I did need to make occasional adjustments throughout the summer to compensate for temperature, bather load, crud getting in the pool, etc. Generally though, those changes were quite small, maybe changing the duty cycle by 2-3 percentage points.
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWCG, Hayward Navigator on dedicated suction line