BONDING ?

Apr 24, 2013
i already have a 110volt 20 amp outdoor plug located 5-7 feey from where the pump and filter will be setting so i can just plug it. this plug is located right beside where electric service is going into my garage. there is a grounding rod in the ground with a copper wire connected to it for the garage now. what will i need to do to bond the pool if anything or do i just plug it in and go thx

Do you know what code is for where you live ?

For the pool you need #8 AWG bare copper wire to go all the way around the pool 18 to 24 inches away form it and attach it to the pool at 4 locations evenly spaced apart. Then it gets buried.

Water also needs to be bonded. It will get connected to the pool bonding then to bonding lug on pump motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How old is your pool?
Who installed it?
What is your location?

Bonding is important. It's basically a loop of #8 awg bare solid copper wire ran all the way around the pool and tied to it in 4 places and it extends to every piece of metal and electric equipment within 5' of the water and includes the pump and any other electrical equipment that touches the water. It sounds like a lot, but on most aboveground pools it's really not.

If you can post a pic of the pool and equip we can tell you what needs to be bonded and how to do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to ask them that specific question. Most installers don't handle electrical and they consider that electrical. :(

If they're responsible for the electrical install then you should definitely request that they do it.

If you have to have an inspection on the install, it'll have to be done if your AHJ requires it.

SO FOR A 15X30 FOOT OVAL I WOULD NEED 100 FOOT OF #8 SOLID COPPER WIRE 4 GROUND LUGS FOR POOL 4 FOR LEADER WIREE TO MAIN WIRE AROUND POOL AND CONNECT ALL OF THIS TO PUMP RIGHT. FOR THE WIRE THAT GOES AROUND POOL DO I CONNECT BOTH ENDS TO PUMP OR ONE END TO PUMP AND CONNECT OTHER END TO POOL?

You run a loop about 24" from the pool, and it needs to be connected to the pool in 4 places, and extended to the pump. Like the following drawing.

[attachment=0:15veymiu]Pool Bonding.jpg[/attachment:15veymiu]

The thick line is the pool wall and the thin lins are the bonding wire. This is just shown diagramatically. Your installation will change to match your actual design and layout.

Attachments

• Pool Bonding.jpg
    Pool Bonding.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.