Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BONDING ?

1. Back To Top    #1

BONDING ?

i already have a 110volt 20 amp outdoor plug located 5-7 feey from where the pump and filter will be setting so i can just plug it. this plug is located right beside where electric service is going into my garage. there is a grounding rod in the ground with a copper wire connected to it for the garage now. what will i need to do to bond the pool if anything or do i just plug it in and go thx
    15x30x54 AG,2HP2SP PUMP 400LB SAND FILTER

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BONDING ?

Do you know what code is for where you live ?

For the pool you need #8 AWG bare copper wire to go all the way around the pool 18 to 24 inches away form it and attach it to the pool at 4 locations evenly spaced apart. Then it gets buried.

Water also needs to be bonded. It will get connected to the pool bonding then to bonding lug on pump motor.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Here's a very good vid of what I'm talking about.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=x6KMtrIa ... 6KMtrIa2x4

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Bonding and grounding are unrelated. There is no reason to tie the bonding system to a ground rod, though it will often end up connected indirectly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED ON THIS I THOUGHT I JUST NEEDE TO PLUG IN THE PUMP AND GO SWIMMING PLEASE HELP

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you watch the video ?

Jeff

7. Back To Top    #7

WHICH ONE DO INEED TO WATCH THERE IS ABOUT 10 O THEM

8. Back To Top    #8

Above ground pool elec install

Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

CANT PULL IT UP IT TAKES ME TO A BLANK PAGE

10. Back To Top    #10

How old is your pool?
    Who installed it?
    What is your location?

Bonding is important. It's basically a loop of #8 awg bare solid copper wire ran all the way around the pool and tied to it in 4 places and it extends to every piece of metal and electric equipment within 5' of the water and includes the pump and any other electrical equipment that touches the water. It sounds like a lot, but on most aboveground pools it's really not.

If you can post a pic of the pool and equip we can tell you what needs to be bonded and how to do it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok. Google above ground pool bonding.
    Sorry about the bad link.

Jeff

12. Back To Top    #12

THIS IS A NEW POOL INSTALLATION WILL BE PUT IN MAY 13TH. IS THIS SOMETHING THEY WILL DO WHEN THEY INSTALL IT?

13. Back To Top    #13

You would have to ask them. Are they doing the elec? An electrician would be able to do it.

I did my own its not hard to do.

Jeff

14. Back To Top    #14

You need to ask them that specific question. Most installers don't handle electrical and they consider that electrical.

If they're responsible for the electrical install then you should definitely request that they do it.

If you have to have an inspection on the install, it'll have to be done if your AHJ requires it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

THEY ARE NOT DOING ANY ELECTRIC. WILL LOWES HAVE EVERYTHING I NEED TO DO THIS

16. Back To Top    #16

Lowes should have everything you need.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

SO FOR A 15X30 FOOT OVAL I WOULD NEED 100 FOOT OF #8 SOLID COPPER WIRE 4 GROUND LUGS FOR POOL 4 FOR LEADER WIREE TO MAIN WIRE AROUND POOL AND CONNECT ALL OF THIS TO PUMP RIGHT. FOR THE WIRE THAT GOES AROUND POOL DO I CONNECT BOTH ENDS TO PUMP OR ONE END TO PUMP AND CONNECT OTHER END TO POOL?

18. Back To Top    #18

You run a loop about 24" from the pool, and it needs to be connected to the pool in 4 places, and extended to the pump. Like the following drawing.

[attachment=0:15veymiu]Pool Bonding.jpg[/attachment:15veymiu]

The thick line is the pool wall and the thin lins are the bonding wire. This is just shown diagramatically. Your installation will change to match your actual design and layout.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

THX I GOT IT KNOW SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING PRETTY SIMPLE THAT I CAN DO MYSELF RIGHT AFTER THEY FINISH THE INSTALL BEFORE I DO A LITTLE BACKFILL AROUND THE POOL PS: LOVE THIS SITE YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME

20. Back To Top    #20

You must remember the water bonder is in this loop too.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast