New Pool Deck Cracking After 10 Days

Nov 19, 2009
Sacramento
I'm posting this for a friend who isn't very computer literate. She is in the middle of pool construction and she had her concrete decking poured after a rain about 10 days ago. The weather has been steadily increasing from the 70's to upper 80's/low 90's since the pour if that matters. Today she noticed 4 hairline cracks, the widest being about 4 feet wide. A picture is below. Is this normal or should she be concerned? Thank you.

pooldeck.jpg

That expansion joint should have gone to that inside corner which would have caused the crack to be in the joint. That being said, it's hard to say how big of a problem this is without seeing how the expansion joints are laid out and knowing what the sub grade under the concrete is like (ie solid ground or fill).

If this is torn out and replaced and the expansion joints are not placed properly it may just crack again in a different spot.

My guess: The contractor is going to say that's a hairline crack, they happen. He's going to refuse to accept that the crack is because he didn't do the job correctly. I'm not saying he did the job incorrectly either (i don't have expansion joints in my corners, 1 is cracked! Perhaps my concrete guy didn't know any better either, i'll have to research proper location of expansion joints).

I told my concrete guy that i didn't want any cracks. I asked what could we do to prevent it. He said I didn't want to pay him what it would cost him to build it such that he could guarantee any cracks would only fall in expansion joints. (and of course he said he wouldn't guarantee it even then). I've got three hairline cracks not at expansion joints. They have not worsened in the year since the pour.

The only real solution is to cut out areas and re-pour. Consequences of that are that you end up with new joints that may look out of place.

One of the various concrete coatings could be used, but typically cracks will transfer through them to the surface as well.

i'm thinking rain and soft ground with potentially insufficient grade prep, some areas have started to settle right away hence the cracking... this is exactly the reason why we're biting the bullet for the additional $$$ and doing a paver deck. when talking to my hardscape guy he said, there's absolutely nothing can be done to prevent cracking, but this fast... i'd say bad grade prep.

Going against the grain here. That's just a hairline crack and isn't a problem. I agree that there should have been a joint put from the corner out, but all that would have done would be to hide the crack as it would most likely have cracked along the joint.

I'd definitely call the builder tolook at it, but don't be surprised if he says it's nothing.

ouachita actually three gaurantees nobody will steal it either. Pretty much say the contractor will say that is too bad but it happens no matter how hard you try to stop it. We had a concrete man pour a deck for himself and it cracked the following day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
swimcmp said:
ouachita actually three gaurantees nobody will steal it either. Pretty much say the contractor will say that is too bad but it happens no matter how hard you try to stop it. We had a concrete man pour a deck for himself and it cracked the following day.

Not anymore swimcmp... in this economy, people do steal concrete: check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPQAIetVhJA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.