Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Deck Cracking After 10 Days

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Deck Cracking After 10 Days

I'm posting this for a friend who isn't very computer literate. She is in the middle of pool construction and she had her concrete decking poured after a rain about 10 days ago. The weather has been steadily increasing from the 70's to upper 80's/low 90's since the pour if that matters. Today she noticed 4 hairline cracks, the widest being about 4 feet wide. A picture is below. Is this normal or should she be concerned? Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Deck Cracking After 10 Days

For sure that is a issue. Time to call the contraactor back to make that right.
    IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by NoFear95
    For sure that is a issue. Time to call the contraactor back to make that right.
    Thank you, I'll let her know.

4. Back To Top    #4

That expansion joint should have gone to that inside corner which would have caused the crack to be in the joint. That being said, it's hard to say how big of a problem this is without seeing how the expansion joints are laid out and knowing what the sub grade under the concrete is like (ie solid ground or fill).

If this is torn out and replaced and the expansion joints are not placed properly it may just crack again in a different spot.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

5. Back To Top    #5

My guess: The contractor is going to say that's a hairline crack, they happen. He's going to refuse to accept that the crack is because he didn't do the job correctly. I'm not saying he did the job incorrectly either (i don't have expansion joints in my corners, 1 is cracked! Perhaps my concrete guy didn't know any better either, i'll have to research proper location of expansion joints).

I told my concrete guy that i didn't want any cracks. I asked what could we do to prevent it. He said I didn't want to pay him what it would cost him to build it such that he could guarantee any cracks would only fall in expansion joints. (and of course he said he wouldn't guarantee it even then). I've got three hairline cracks not at expansion joints. They have not worsened in the year since the pour.

The only real solution is to cut out areas and re-pour. Consequences of that are that you end up with new joints that may look out of place.

One of the various concrete coatings could be used, but typically cracks will transfer through them to the surface as well.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

6. Back To Top    #6

i'm thinking rain and soft ground with potentially insufficient grade prep, some areas have started to settle right away hence the cracking... this is exactly the reason why we're biting the bullet for the additional $$$ and doing a paver deck. when talking to my hardscape guy he said, there's absolutely nothing can be done to prevent cracking, but this fast... i'd say bad grade prep.
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Going against the grain here. That's just a hairline crack and isn't a problem. I agree that there should have been a joint put from the corner out, but all that would have done would be to hide the crack as it would most likely have cracked along the joint.

I'd definitely call the builder tolook at it, but don't be surprised if he says it's nothing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Appreciate all the good comments here. I've seen a couple other pics and they all are indeed hairline cracks. She's supposed to call them today, so I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again.

9. Back To Top    #9

There are two guarantees with concrete. It gets hard and it cracks. Old contractor joke. Sorry
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

ouachita actually three gaurantees nobody will steal it either. Pretty much say the contractor will say that is too bad but it happens no matter how hard you try to stop it. We had a concrete man pour a deck for himself and it cracked the following day.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by ouachita
    There are two guarantees with concrete. It gets hard and it cracks. Old contractor joke. Sorry
    I always heard that with concrete it isn't a matter of "If" its going to crack, but rather "where" its going to crack.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

12. Back To Top    #12

There are only two places where concrete cracks - where you want it to and where you don't.
    Bryan
    My Pool Build
    IG 16,148 gal (pool+spa), Mediterranean Pebble Plus, Noce Travertine Coping and Deck, Hayward ProLogic 8 with AquaPod, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Hayward 60 sqft DE filter, Hayward T15 SWCG, Paramount Clear O3 Ozone, Hayward 400k BTU NG Heater

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp
    ouachita actually three gaurantees nobody will steal it either. Pretty much say the contractor will say that is too bad but it happens no matter how hard you try to stop it. We had a concrete man pour a deck for himself and it cracked the following day.
    Not anymore swimcmp... in this economy, people do steal concrete: check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPQAIetVhJA
    21'x41' Mountain Lake, Filter Pentair TA60D, Pump Pentair SuperFlo 1.5 hp, SWG Pentair IC-40, light IntelliBrite 5g LED, Liner 27 mil Dynastie/Blue Granite, 2 main drains, 2 multidirectional hydrostream return inlets, 2 wall skimmers , 2 in-floor cleaning heads, Heating 500 sq Techno-Solis Solar Panels, Hayward Aqua Solar control