Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: borax/washing soda difference????

1. Back To Top    #1

borax/washing soda difference????

so i found this http://www.soapgoods.com/20-Mule-Tea...d41687766582a5

and then this http://www.soapgoods.com/Washing-Sod...ght-p-716.html

i guess my question is what is better? per pound the washing soda seems like the better buy. also on the simplepool app when it gives you advice on what to add to adjust the amount of ph, borax is nearly double the amount of washing soda. am i missing something?

is the washing soda something completely different than what is used for pools?

thanks for any help folks.
    27,000 gal. vinyl inground.
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump
    Triton II TR-100 sand filter
    Hayward C-500CF chemical feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: borax/washing soda difference????

While both products raise the PH, Borax and washing soda/soda ash are two different chemicals that have somewhat different effects on the water.

Borax raises the PH a lot, the TA hardly at all, and the Borate level a little.
    Washing soda/soda ash also raise the PH a lot but raise the TA a fair bit, and do not affect the borate level.

For PH adjustments where you also want to raise the TA, typically in situations where the PH tends to go down on it's own, washing soda/soda ash is a better deal. But for situations where you are trying to keep the TA level down as much as practical while raising PH, borax has an advantage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

alright thanks for the info jason.

probably just stick with the borax. TA doesn't move that much for me but it seems i am always raising the PH. was trying to justify the 50 cent difference per pound.
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Can I ask what your TA is? Just wondering why you are always having to raise the PH...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Can I ask what your TA is? Just wondering why you are always having to raise the PH...
    pool is still closed so i don't know the exact measurement. i downloaded that simple pool app and noticed that i raise PH more than TA typically. only thing i can come up with is the rain.
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I see you have a Chlorine feeder. Are you using that? If so, that is why you are having to constantly raise your pH. Also if you are using it, your CYA is probably very high.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN
    I see you have a Chlorine feeder. Are you using that? If so, that is why you are having to constantly raise your pH. Also if you are using it, your CYA is probably very high.
    john i am actually going to start the BBB method this summer.

i got a test kit and was tinkering last summer.

so using the BBB method i shouldn't use tabs or cal-hypo, just bleach right? it seems like that i would be buying bleach alot and that it might get costly. haven't crunched number yet.

also in the past i would use clarifier and algaecide to aid in keeping the pool clear. i guess all that adds up when not doing BBB though.
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump