Rain and swimming Pools and SWG

mnittler

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2012
South Texas
What should you do for the swimming pool after a really big rain?
This is the 1st rain we have had since the pool was installed and had not thought of what we should do.

This is what we did. Now what is the proper procedure?
We backwashed the filter for a really long time to get the pool level back to where it should be.
Right after the rain we doubled the setting on the SWG and ran the system for an extra 12 hours.
The light on the SWG was indicating LOW SALT so we checked the salinity and it was low so we added a bag of pool salt per the TFP pool app.
The next day the CL was 5.0 so we lowered the SWG to a little under our normal setting.
Added 3 capfuls of PhosFree.
Added a little cya stabilizer.
We adjusted the pH to 7.4
Brushed the pool
Used the leaf net to get all the floating stuff off the surface and most of it from the bottom and emptied the skimmer baskets several times.

So far we have not seen anything green growing in the pool but have heard horror stories about what happens to a pool after a heavy rain.

Rain, even a fairly heavy one, should be almost inconsequential to a pool. If the rainwater from the deck or yard drains INTO the pool, that's another story.

After a really good rainfall, you should probably remove the debris, test your water carefully and manage the results. The chances are good you will have to do nothing.

Why did you use phosfree? Why did you add CYA?

If you're worried about your numbers test before you do anything - if the salt was low then that was probably ok but only adjust the chems if you own personal testing confirms that you need to do anything. Phosfree unnecessary.

The horror stories are from unknowing pool owners that don't understand the FC/CYA relationship and their FC was probably too low in the first place, they were probably already on the verge of an algae bloom and rain-caused debris pushed the pool past the point of no return.

I added cya because it was originally at 40 and I threw away 4" of water from the pool. The PhosFree was probably not necessary, I was just thinking rain, lightening, Nitrogen, fertilizer . I have now tested for Phosphate and it is very low between 0 and 50. The pH was dropping so I increased the IntellipH to 40 to componsate. CL now at 4.5 today. By the way what is CC and is it important when CL is ok. No rain water ran into the pool only what fell from the sky.

CC is combined chloramines and becomes important if it gets higher than .5 tho sunlight usually will take care of it. If its 1 or higher I would shock the pool with liquid chlorine.
No really, Phosfree really unnecessary :)
Here is the deal on phosphates. They ARE algae food, however, if you have the proper FC level, the phosphate level is irrelevant. We have several members whose phosphate levels are in the thousands and they NEVER get a green pool because they ALWAYS keep their FC above the required minimum level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.