Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rain and swimming Pools and SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Rain and swimming Pools and SWG

What should you do for the swimming pool after a really big rain?
    This is the 1st rain we have had since the pool was installed and had not thought of what we should do.

This is what we did. Now what is the proper procedure?
    We backwashed the filter for a really long time to get the pool level back to where it should be.
    Right after the rain we doubled the setting on the SWG and ran the system for an extra 12 hours.
    The light on the SWG was indicating LOW SALT so we checked the salinity and it was low so we added a bag of pool salt per the TFP pool app.
    The next day the CL was 5.0 so we lowered the SWG to a little under our normal setting.
    Added 3 capfuls of PhosFree.
    Added a little cya stabilizer.
    We adjusted the pH to 7.4
    Brushed the pool
    Used the leaf net to get all the floating stuff off the surface and most of it from the bottom and emptied the skimmer baskets several times.

So far we have not seen anything green growing in the pool but have heard horror stories about what happens to a pool after a heavy rain.
    21,500 gal sport pool, 8' spa, beach, 400k btu LP heater, Pentair IC60 SWG & #300 Tablet Feeder, 60 sqft DE filter, Paramount in-floor PoolValet 3 cleaners, Debris Canister, Polaris 360, Pentair VFD 3hp pump, IntelliPh, Geysers & Turbo Twister Slide w/1 hp pump, Color LED Pool & Spa lights, E-Z Touch8 control system, Wireless controller. Test Kits:TF-100, Taylor K-1004, CYA K-1720, Phosphate K-1106, Salt Water K-1766, Hach CN-39WR.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rain and swimming Pools and SWG

You did good. Keep an eye on CC for several days.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Rain, even a fairly heavy one, should be almost inconsequential to a pool. If the rainwater from the deck or yard drains INTO the pool, that's another story.

After a really good rainfall, you should probably remove the debris, test your water carefully and manage the results. The chances are good you will have to do nothing.

Why did you use phosfree? Why did you add CYA?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

If you're worried about your numbers test before you do anything - if the salt was low then that was probably ok but only adjust the chems if you own personal testing confirms that you need to do anything. Phosfree unnecessary.

The horror stories are from unknowing pool owners that don't understand the FC/CYA relationship and their FC was probably too low in the first place, they were probably already on the verge of an algae bloom and rain-caused debris pushed the pool past the point of no return.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

I added cya because it was originally at 40 and I threw away 4" of water from the pool. The PhosFree was probably not necessary, I was just thinking rain, lightening, Nitrogen, fertilizer . I have now tested for Phosphate and it is very low between 0 and 50. The pH was dropping so I increased the IntellipH to 40 to componsate. CL now at 4.5 today. By the way what is CC and is it important when CL is ok. No rain water ran into the pool only what fell from the sky.
    21,500 gal sport pool, 8' spa, beach, 400k btu LP heater, Pentair IC60 SWG & #300 Tablet Feeder, 60 sqft DE filter, Paramount in-floor PoolValet 3 cleaners, Debris Canister, Polaris 360, Pentair VFD 3hp pump, IntelliPh, Geysers & Turbo Twister Slide w/1 hp pump, Color LED Pool & Spa lights, E-Z Touch8 control system, Wireless controller. Test Kits:TF-100, Taylor K-1004, CYA K-1720, Phosphate K-1106, Salt Water K-1766, Hach CN-39WR.

6. Back To Top    #6

CC is combined chloramines and becomes important if it gets higher than .5 tho sunlight usually will take care of it. If its 1 or higher I would shock the pool with liquid chlorine.
    No really, Phosfree really unnecessary
    Here is the deal on phosphates. They ARE algae food, however, if you have the proper FC level, the phosphate level is irrelevant. We have several members whose phosphate levels are in the thousands and they NEVER get a green pool because they ALWAYS keep their FC above the required minimum level.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

I feed rainwater from my roof into my pool (why pay for fill water when it falls for free from the sky, am I right?).

As long as you keep your pool clean and balanced, rain is nothing to worry about.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry