Don't Know what this is...

w4arf

Apr 29, 2012
I have uploaded a picture of the problem I have. The problem looks like it may be green but the brush will not touch it.

This problem showed up (picture included) when I opened the pool this last week end. I use a mesh cover and all looked well except for some trash that builds in the corners of the the vinyl pool at the deep end. I cleaned the material over this area and scrubbed hard...No luck. I have shocked...No luck. I have this problem is several areas of the deep end that had trash laying in the corners over the areas that this is showing up.

I have had the pool for 22 years and just replaced the liner last spring. I have NEVER seen a problem like this before. I always start the filter early with the cover on and start treating it so I NEVER have a green pool.....Just run the pool cleaner 2 or three times, after the cover comes off, and the pool has always always looks great.

I have no idea what I am dealing with...Any and ALL help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Steve Haynes
VA Beach, VA

It's either organic or metal stains.

The first thing to do is post a set of test results and how you got them.

Then take a trichlor puck and hold on one for a few seconds and see if it lightens. If it does it's organic and holding your FC at the high end of normal will lighten them over time. If it doesn't, take and crush some vitamin C tablets and put them in a old sock and rub them on one for a little while. If that lightens it, it's metals.

Hi Dave,

FC is 4.0 and was 16.0 sunday after I shocked

TA is 70

CYA 50

PH 7.2 I have it a little low to let the CA work.

I have always had some debris built up in the corners of the pool bottom when I open up, but NEVER anything I could not scrub off.

I don't have any trichlor pucks. I do have some ganules and may try dropping them over the spot and see what happens I will also try the Vit c method when it stops raining here.

Thanks again for you response

V/R

Steve Haynes

I don't recommend that with a vinyl liner, you could end up with spotty, bleached out spots where the granules settle. Its not uncommon to see organic staining on vinyl, but it usually fades after a few weeks of proper FC levels. It could also be a defect of the new liner.

With you just opening, I'm going to say it's organic and holding shock for an extended period should take care of it. I wouldn't put a puck on vinyl. Too risky IMO! It's like splashing bleach on your clothes. :pale:

Dave,

Your idea worked.........I dribbled some granules over the spot...They settled and I just went back after about 2 hours and no stain! I had tried 12.5% clor and pored it at the area......I think it got too weak before it got to the bottom......Granules were the key!

Thanks again,

Steve Haynes

Casey and frustratedpoolmom,

Tks for the input...You can read what I did and it solved the problem. I suspect both of you are also right....Normal FC levels for several weeks would have probably solved the problem also.

I had just never had in the problem in 21 years.....Still not sure why I had the problem this time.

V/R

Steve Haynes

I wouldn't recommend pouring granules on the liner. That's why I only suggested holding the puck on it for a few seconds. Holding the FC at the high end of normal or even almost at shock for a little while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.