Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aerating to raise pH - Are the spa jets enough?

1. Back To Top    #1

Aerating to raise pH - Are the spa jets enough?

I'm nearing the 1-week point on my BBB adventure, after draining and refilling my pool. pH and TA were initially high (pH: 8.0, TA: 150). I brought pH down to 7.5 with some MA, which also brought the TA down to 140. Surprisingly, pH has been very stable. I've been checking it twice daily, and it's been rock solid at 7.5. I was expecting the pH to rise due to the 5 hours / day of spa spillover.

This morning pH finally went up a little to 7.8, so I added enough MA to drop it back down to 7.2. 5 hours later I checked all the levels again:

FC: 5
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 130
    CH: 220
    CYA: 40

I want to speed up the rate of pH increase, so I've decided to let the spa jets run during the pump cycle. Do you think this is going to be adequate to get the results I need, or should I consider building an aeration contraption to attach to a return?

Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aerating to raise pH - Are the spa jets enough?

I'm feeling a little absent minded ... I keep forgetting I have a booster pump!

More power!
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.

3. Back To Top    #3

It sounds like you have high TA fill water and being in SoCal with high evaporation and very little rain, you might just be wasting your time. Eventually, you may lower your TA but it will likely rise again because of the fill water so you might just be better off living with higher TA and just keep the PH on the lower end of the range. This is basically what I do and my TA settles around 120 ppm but I am continually adding acid to keep the PH down.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    It sounds like you have high TA fill water and being in SoCal
    Right, I just checked some tap water to verify.
    pH: off the scale, over 8.2
    TA: 130

Well, that's slightly discouraging. Never the less, I'm curious to see how quickly I can get the pH up with the spa jets and booster pump running.
    Matt

5. Back To Top    #5

If I recall correctly, I drove pH up once about .6 in a couple hours with full spa, full booster, and air pump going.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

130 isn't high...you can definitely get that low and keep it low. I don't know what Mark's is, but mine comes out around 220 and eventually settles around 80.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, it's been about 2 hours, and my pH has gone from 7.2 to 7.5. Not too shabby!
    Matt

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    130 isn't high...you can definitely get that low and keep it low. I don't know what Mark's is, but mine comes out around 220 and eventually settles around 80.
    Right now my TA fill water is around 300 and I agree, 130 is not that bad and should be able to lower it much lower than I can.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by thehowheels
    Well, it's been about 2 hours, and my pH has gone from 7.2 to 7.5. Not too shabby!
    Your jets and that kind of aeration are better than anything else you could do.

Now I want more pics, nice looking pool.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon