Stenner Integration Timer Question 240V

Apr 30, 2013
Chicago IL
So I'm working through trying to integrate a Stenner for chlorine injection into my pool equipment.

Currently I have a 240V 2 Wire single speed pump. I don't have nor can I practically get a 120V circuit to the pump location.

From what I gather this somewhat ties my hands with what I can do basically limiting my timer control options for the Stenner pump. I want to keep this as simple as possible.

From what it looks like I'll be stuck going with a 220V pump with adding something like a Intermatic 104 style timer for control instead of a simple outdoor cheap digital timer.

By using this style of timer my minimum pump run time is about 1Hr... So from my quick calculations of pump sizing if I go with the 3GPD my minimum daily dosage is .125Gal or with the 10GPD the minimum dosage is .41Gal.

Therefore with this timer arrangement and the 10GPD pump it's almost a half gallon a shot minimum. That doesn't sound like enough adjustability? But it also results in long run times if going with the 3GPD pump.

What are others doing with a 240 source circuit? I can't be the only one in this bind? Open to all and any suggestions. A variable output pump may be the answer but I was hoping to just get the fixed output again keeping it simple.

Side note I'm also looking to add some type of timer for my pump. The current setup is just a switch on the pump pad and the pump runs 24/7. I'd like to try and save some cost this summer by going to some shorter pump time. I was also thinking of using a simple 104 timer for that as well. And possibly doing daisy chained 104 timers like the 10404R config to handle the pump and stenner. But that all said since I have NO timer currently my options may be open to something more integrated like the 1353 for example but even that doesn't seem to do what I'd need by itself as it only will switch both legs of a 240 service using 2 of the outputs.

While not necessarily preferred, it is acceptable to switch one leg of the 230 volt circuit to control the pumps. So either the PE1353 or the T10404 timers will work for you. I think the PE1353 will be more flexible for you.

I to have a 240v 3GPD Stenner , last year I simply used my pool pump T104 timer that only ran 8-9hrs a day (which was plenty ) and wired my Stenner injection into it as well and injected with my dial set at 2.5 / 3 for the time that my main pump was in service...(worked like a champ) maintained my FC where needed flawlessly... this year I changed it up a bit and interrupted my load side of the timer going to the stenner with a programmable time delay relay so I can inject at full stroke for a set amount of time that I set on the relay....have not opened my pool yet but soon it will be in operation and will tinker with the time interval setting then at full stroke....:cool:

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk

Ok so I think this will work.. Wasn't too keen on not switching both legs but maybe if the existing switch in in place to maintain that disconnect at the pad it's not so bad?

I'll leave the existing DPST switch in place as a local kill all at the pad. Add a 1353 digital timer down stream between the existing switch and equipment. Have timer circuit 1 switch one side of the filter pump. Have timer circuit switch one side of the stenner pump. Run the timer switch in Mode 3 (cleaner pump mode) that will restrict the stenner on circuit 3 to only be operable during filter pump operation. Could also configure as fully manual mode as well.

I know that switching the single leg would technically work assuming no faulty equipment.. is it acceptable code wise? It almost has to be since the electronic switches appear to be going that way.

In exactly the same boat as the OP.

This thought came to mind - what about adding an AUX panel for all of the pool equipment with breakers on each. Adds some cost and complexity, but having breakers RIGHT there would be nice. Easily add a 120V receptacle to the setup. Thoughts?

JasonLion said:
To add a sub-panel you need a four wire connection to the main breaker panel. A typical pump circuit only has three wires, and can not be used with a sub-panel without running new wire.

and BOOM. There went that one. As always - thank you Jason.

So I'm up and running. This solution is AWESOME! OK I'm only a few days into the Stenner being operational and still tweaking in the time but so far I'm a believer. Time will tell if I should have just gone SWG.

I ended up biting the bullet and redoing a lot of my pump equipment. Basically a string of events that started with wanting to install a timer to save some energy and then opening the pool to failed pump bearings.

So here I am. New 2 speed pump controlled by 1353 digital timer and a 220v 10gpd stenner pump controlled by the 3rd timer circuit of the 1353.

I've got a quiet pump saving energy! Liquid chlorine is being automatically injected! My pool looks GREAT! And a neighborhood that thinks I'm crazy for installing this unheard of off the wall contraption that isn't using pucks or the latest gotta have it "salt pool" because it's so much better than Chlorine (LOL). Can't tell you how many times I've had to explain why I'm not putting a SWG on my pool.

Thanks all!

Did I mention how awesome the stenner is? Only down side was hauling a major SUV load of liquid to store in cool dark place for the season. I took full advantage of the Menards BOGO offer last month which equaled $2/Gal for 12.5%. I bought 24 cases based on some approximate expected usage calculations I ran. Should have seen the look on the guys face when I asked if the offer had a limit and he asked if I wanted all that was on the shelf.. I said how much is in this building and when he stated something like 400 gallons. I said give me 96 of them! Even if the stuff degrades to 6% by the end of summer I'm sill ahead of the game. Liquid bleach isn't as cheap as it used to be that is for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.