First Chemical readings, need a 2nd Opinion

Feb 22, 2013
I just started to monitor my pool chemicals. I just got it put up this weekend. I would like for you to review what I have and let me know if I am on the right path and I am reading these numbers correctly. I have read through the Pool School and took notes along the way. Now lets see if I can pass the test..
Here is what I have..
Date:4/30/2013
Weather:Cloudy 64 degrees
FC- Free Chlorine: 7.5
CC - Combined Cloramines - .5
TC- Total Chlorine (FC+CC): 8
PH - 7.5
TA - 180
CH - 100
CYA - 30

Looking at my numbers and what I read, I believe that I need to put some Borax in the pool to raise my PH a little. And add some conditioner to raise the CYA. Is this correct?

I have also created a Excel spread sheet that I am tracking my day to day numbers and what is added to the pool, so it will teach me along the way.

Thanks in advance,

No, don't add Borax. pH is about perfect at 7.5. Your TA is high enough that I'd expect to see pH rise in a couple days, and you'll be needing acid to lower it.

You should get some more CYA in there, but wait a few more days and retest it because it can take a week or so to register correctly on the test. If you know how much you added, the pool calculator will tell you what the CYA level should be, and you should base your FC level off that. So although FC looks a bit high, it might be okay.

Depending on your location....I wouldn't do anything. You shouldn't lose much FC early in the season, but you could bump that up if you wish.

What's the water look like??

Water is crystal clear. I do however need to vacuum the bottom. Got a little dirt. But other than that.. It looks clear.. I won't be swimming anytime soon, the water temp is 65 degrees.. But I just wanted to test my chemistry abilities and start learning on what I need to do.

With that then.....I'd leave it be. Once your PH goes up to around 7.8 (it will go up on it's own) then go ahead and lower it back down to 7.2, which in return will lower your TA. If you find yourself using a TON of acid often to lower then you can activity work on lowering your TA level. That is up to you. Your CYA level is fine for early in the season with somewhat cool temps. Once the sun starts blaring down on the water then it would be in your best interest to maybe raise your CYA level up some to help reduce the amount of chlorine you lose daily to the sun.

For now....enjoy the water. At times the hardest part of BBB is seeing that enjoying it is all that's needed. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.