side vs top mount

The first thing I would ask is why are you replacing it?

Side vs top mount isn't really an issue. Either works fine and there's really no downside to either. Large filters usually come with side mount valves just due to the height that a top mount would wind up at.

Reasoning, the lid keeps blowing off and it is old and now the plastic bleeder value is cracked at the lid . Also the multiport leaks, even after I replaced the spider gasket last year. It just doesn't seem to be worth trying to fix anymore.

Thanks for the reply.

I have found two source that list the side mount version at about $200 more expensive than the equivalent top mount. I am not sure why the drastic price difference, as you suggest, they seem to work exactly the same. I am going to have to do some replumbing regardless (probably moreso with the top mount), but for a $200 savings , I do not mind the extra work.

If you talking Sand filters there are some advantages (atleast to me :D).....

With a side mount you dont have to cut your plumbing if you need to change, or unchannel your sand. Also if a lateral cracks..etc....

On a top mount unless you have unions plumbed in and have to do the above you are replumbing.

To me, the top mount is actually better for getting to the internals. On a side mount you have to mess with those bulkhead fittings.

A side mount also has to have unions, it's just that they're already there. On a top mount you just have to add a couple. Six of one, half dozen of the other kind of thing I guess. :)

Dave,

Is there a photo somewhere of your setup? Also does the lid screw on or clamp on? My current lid screws on, and it seems that the fiberglass hole is more oval than circular (I am not sure if that is possible, it just seems that way) which probably is helping the lid fly off in my case.

Thanks as always.

I've had both in the past and I prefer the side mount now...makes it very simple to inspect/hose backwash your sand a lot easier if needed..but as stated above...personal preferance.

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I installed a top mount when I first built my pool but now wish I had installed a side mount. The configuration of my equipment behind my pool house would have made my plumbing simpler as I had to use a lot more elbows to get the plumbing routed correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.