Rust on IG steel walls

rach

Apr 30, 2013
Maryland
Hello Everyone. First time posting, so I hope I selected the correct forum.

I am having my liner replaced. When the old liner was removed, rust around the skimmer was revealed. I am horrified and worried. I attached a photo which shows the rust and a section that has been eroded.

Has anyone also made this discovery in their own pool? What solutions worked best for you?

Here are the options I think I have:

1. Use cold-clad paint to help reduce the spread of the rust. After properly preparing the surface of course.
2. Have the pool installers purchase and install a new wall over the existing wall (called a skin) and put foam padding over that to protect the liner. Not cheap
3. Have the pool installers purchase and install aluminum flashing over the existing wall and put foam padding over that to protect the liner.
4. Replace the entire section of wall. This is not really an option because it is extremely expensive (need to jack hammer the concrete, etc.)

I appreciate input or ideas. Thank you -Rachel

Attachments

• pool rust 1.jpg
    pool rust 1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 109
First, it looks like the gasket leaked, so if you seal the leak this time, that would be the primary repair.

I like your idea #1 in addition to the proper gasket seal.

I can't tell if it's possible but could you cut out that rusted metal and fill in with epoxy (like bondo)?

A couple years ago I replaced my liner. After removing the old liner I discovered many dozen small rust holes (1/8" or less) within the bottom foot or so around the entire perimeter of my 15' x 30" IG. I cleaned the areas then spray painted as a primer then sealed the holes with NP-1 caulking. I then painted the entire wall with Rust-Oleum. I then installed 26 guage G90 galvanized sheet metal around the entire perimeter 2 feet high. I sealed the top edge of the G90 to the existing and then painted the G90 with Rust-Oleum. Wall foam was installed before the new liner. Over-kill? Possibly.

If that is the only area that has rust, I would fasten a large patch over the area before the wall foam but I'm not a pro pool repair guy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.