DIY install fiberglass pool

Nova13

Jan 23, 2013
Well the saga begins, after months of planning, months of getting permits the pool arrived.

I bought a pool thru Sun Pools, great company to deal with.

The crane didn't show up so I couldn't let a small detail like that stop this project.

My neighbor was kind enough to let use his lawn which had more room to work with

it landed without a hitch, 5 of us slowly slide it off, and landed.

Put down 2 bys to slide off the grass onto the dirt next to the hole

That was last Thursday, since then put in all the supplied bulkheads, skimmer box all pre-drilled/cut at factory, they even sent the sealer.

Today we're trimming up the hole to fit better putting in 2-3" of gravel, cutting a hole for a lite, auto fill and some special stuff to make this an all natural pool without any chemicals, but that's another story.

The building inspector made the first round of elec and concrete forms for the enclosed pergola to built around it.

I already install the spa in the ground.

Hope to have the crane here tomorrow or the next day and then plumb up the the rest of the PVC.

Still not sure how I want to back fill this Sun Pools recommends sand washed in, but a lot of people use stone.

Any input on that?

Backfill choice is somewhat up to you, but you do need to find out from the manufacturer if using stone would void structural warranty. Trilogy recommends 3/8 stone to be used. So check with the manufacturer to protect yourself.

Great idea, called said either way no problem, but since there is a lot of clay here he said small stone or crushed gravel.

He was worried about the sand and and clay mixing rock hard.

Hope Im not too late, I did my own install as well and I used crushed limestone screenings instead of sand. Sand can and will shift with a lot of water(rain, etc.) my patio is proof of that- put it in 6 years ago and now am redoing it due to rainfall and sand running out from underneath. The limestone screenings that I used as a base for my walkway hasn't moved a bit in the same amount of time.
If you won't void the warranty, I would use 3/8 gravel or limestone screenings.

I also used an entire tube of silicone around the outside of every fitting I installed(2 main drains, 2 lights, 4 returns) I made sure I had a perfectly flat spot on the outside of the shell, cleaned it good, placed the fitting o-ring and tightened them up then siliconed.

I pressure tested all plumbing before, during and after backfilling as well as one last time before pouring the concrete.
If I could go back in time, I would add another return line for better circulation and move 2 returns to better wash the bench seat and stairs.

Make sure your lights face away from your planned main patio area/house. I did this and am extremely happy since there is a slight glare when on the side facing the lights.
Dig any and all trenches now, speaker line runs, landscape lights, exterior power, etc.. Not fun doing those after the grass has grown back.

Think about where/if you are going to have an outdoor changing area and may want power,water,etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good points, I'm not using sand, crushed limestone is available here at $50 a yard, stone 3/8-1/2 is $82.

After 4 days pool still dead level with one foot of water and one foot of stone.

Right after inspection the rest will be back filled.

All fitting were but in with marine life caulk 5200, they will be fine, better than silicone.

But no o rings were used.

Already did the light with that in mind.

I was doing the auto fill run, tomorrow, but the shower area outdoors is great idea, need to try and work that in some how.

Ok had the next building dept inspection yesterday, all clear to back fill and rough in electric approved with all types of required grounding.

In the first pic the pond rough in is visible

14162d1368747957t-jimbos-pool-install-all-natural-no-chlorine-sam_0782.jpg

14163d1368747957t-jimbos-pool-install-all-natural-no-chlorine-sam_0783.jpg

some plumbing

14164d1368747957t-jimbos-pool-install-all-natural-no-chlorine-sam_0779.jpg

14165d1368747957t-jimbos-pool-install-all-natural-no-chlorine-sam_0780.jpg

auto fill

14166d1368747957t-jimbos-pool-install-all-natural-no-chlorine-sam_0777.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.