Stacked Stone / Ledge Rock Around the Pool?

Apr 30, 2013
Our family is in the process of building our first pool. Our plan and desire is to you stacked stone around the raised spa and on an elevated sun shelf. We are just learning that nearly all manufactured stone is NOT recommended for around pools. However, we are not happy with the natural stone samples we have seen in our area. We live in Northern California (between San Francisco and Sacramento).

Does anyone have experience using manufactured stone around their pool?

Any pictures or suggestions?

Does around the raised spa area include the top surface of the walls, the part you sit on as you get into the spa?

I've never like sitting on natural stone when i'm all wet, to scratchy, probably worse for the ladies.

Considered tile?

It is going to be an 18" raise with spillways into the pool. Our current plan is to have a similar type of flagstone as a cap as well. You make a good point. We will have glass tile on the spa seat, but for those who may sit on the edge with their feet in, natural stone may not be so comfortable.

We are in the same boat! I've been searching seemingly for days on what to do about it. I love the colors of manufactured stacked stone, but I've also heard we can't use it due to possible fading from our salt water. Let me know what you decide. We're almost to the point I have to make a decision because our build is more than half way done.

Thanks for the link. Your choices are very similar to mine. I've been trying really hard to find one with the least amount of copper/gold in it, but I can't seem to find any. I think we're going to go with one called Ming Valley. It looks like this in person for anyone else trying to figure it out.

Attachments

• 1-635.jpg
    1-635.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 283
Thanks for posting the picture. You're right, they do look very similar. We have started the rock work, tile, and waterfall around the pool. They will be doing the stacked stone after the banded edge has been poured which will probably be early next week. I will start posting pictures when they start the stacked stone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.