Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: seeking advice on......critter prevention

1. Back To Top    #1

seeking advice on......critter prevention

Hello all. Have opened my new (bought home over winter) IG pool recently. Am on a pretty wooded 4 acre lot, so have been dealing with some critter issues in skimmer :^/
    Frogs, spiders, moles(!), etc. I've seen some products for this issue, namely a sand-filled device that sits on side of pool and has a platform in the water too (for climbing out), and also a skimmer cover with a 'ramp' out. Was hoping to get feedback here on if things like that 'work'. Or if not, any other ways to assist with this issue. Thanks in advance...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: seeking advice on......critter prevention

Welcome to TFP!

I have seen the skimmer lid with the ramp. I have always wondered how well those really worked for people.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, me too. Would think others with IG pools and wooded properties, have to also deal with this a fair amount.

4. Back To Top    #4

Having a pool sort of predisposes you to dealing with stuff getting in there. In GA, the main threat to you would be snakes. Look before sticking your hand in there always!

5. Back To Top    #5

We have the ramp for the pool due to the cats. I don't know if any one of them have ever used it to get out of the pool but they sure do use it to get on and drink out of the pool! It took me a while to figure out what I was seeing the first time! LOL

http://www.petco.com/product/111719/Gam ... 1515440435

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Mark, I have a very wooded lot and a robust population of frogs. One is floating by as I write. I have not yet tried either of the proces. The skimmer cover with the hole seems lie it would be in the way of the basket handle I use to avoid reaching in bare-handed (though most of my frogs have now figured out that if they climb the handle freedom awaits in the a.m. Natural selection at work

I was going to try the frog log but found it odd that they disclaim so much about population size and sell six packs. I mean, if it works, why would you need six junking up the pool? I may try it yet, and will report back if I do.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains