removing offline puck feeder?

rhythm

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2008
Lake Forest, CA
Hello. When my pool was built, the installer plumbed in a Pentair Rainbow 300 offline puck feeder. I don't use it, but I have just left it there because I figured that removing it would involve trying to plug up the installation holes in the pipe, or cutting out sections of pipe and putting new sections in their place. But looking at the installation, it looks like it might be possible to just remove the feeder housing and the hoses, and cap off the connectors that are still installed in the pipe. Is this possible? This way I could always re-connect it again if I decide to use it for some reason.

If my question isn't too clear, I can post a couple of pictures of the connectors if anyone requests.

Thanks,
Greg

I had one plumbed into my system. Once I quit using it, I just left it be until it eventually stated to leak. Then I removed it at that point. It won't hurt anything to sit there idle. You can deal with it once it starts to leak.

A lot of people just remove the canister and hook one of the hoses into the other port. It creates a small bypass in the plumbing, but it's not enough to matter. Or you could remove the fittings, thread the holes for 3/8" NPT and install threaded plugs.

Is it supposed to make noise? Mine sits and sounds like something is rattling inside. Not used, I don't see any air bubble issues.

On my Rainbow 320, I put a threaded cap where the canister screws on and a plug where the hose connects. If I travel for more than one week at a time, I reinstall it. I use the feeder for 1 week and have a friend throw the loaded floater in after 7 days. If I only travel for a week (most years), I just use the floater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.