Low PH, Low CYA, algea...and visiting ducks!

I just realized that. It looked different at first. I did not include the daily tests when I posted my results, because it was higher than 5 for chlorine and lower than the lowest ph reading. I thought there was a more accurate test in the kit. Anyway. The results I have been posting for the last 2-3 days have all been very close. If you want me to go out and test it all again for the 5th time, I will, but I am starting to wonder why. By the way Dave--I love your kit!

Also my hardness is off the chart. I did the test out of the Tf-100 with the pool store guy. I'm feeling like I'm either too stupid to do this, or something is wrong here.

My laminated card has tftestkits and daily test (pH and OTO TC) on one side and weekly test kit (FC,CC, TA, CH, CYA) on the other.

Not sure what you are missing.

In your first results the TC did not equal FC+CC, so we still do not know what is going on.

EDIT: oops missed about 5 posts when I wrote this

Report the FC and CC ... unless you did not test the CC and the total chlorine you reported was really FC.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

woodyp said:
Your posts are NOT stupid and noone here considers them to be! Hope you get to feeling better too. The only thing I'd be confident in telling you at the moment is to raise your PH to 7.2 or a little better.

From pool school:

PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all. However, aeration is rather slow compared to the other two.

Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Soda ash is available as ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Do not confuse this with ARM & HAMMER® laundry detergent! It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. It is also sold by pool stores under various names, including PH Increaser, PH Up, Balance Pak 200, etc. Soda ash is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Aeration can be provided by a SWG, spa jets, waterfall, fountain, return pointed up so it breaks the surface, air compressor, kids splashing, rain, etc. It can take some time for aeration to raise the PH. The higher your TA level, the faster aeration will work.

Raising your TA is probably very likely needed, but we need better test results. Raising TA by adding plain old baking soda also raises PH.

Have you found the 20 Mule Team Borax or Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda yet? How about baking soda? Your pool stores or Walmart will have the big sizes you need.

You need to adjust the pH as it is terribly low. Your copper is also terribly high according to the pool store and we typically do trust the pool store on this. I cannot say why your hair is not green but perhaps this extreme level has occurred just recently and you have not been swimming yet. I am curious about your issues with the copper pipes --- pipes related to the pool? Like copper in the heater? This low pH over time will damage things like copper heater components. The low pH is due to the low TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.