Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to open a stuck AquaRite Turbo Cell

1. Back To Top    #1

how to open a stuck AquaRite Turbo Cell

I'm trying to open up my AquaRite Turbo Cell, but neither end just won't budge using hand force. I bought a $10 strap wrench on ebay to see if that would work, but the strap wrench just snapped off.

Any ideas on how to open one of these things? they're obviously way to big to use like a pipe wrench, so I don't know what other tools I could use to get this thing off

[attachment=0:9mil3piu]swg cell.jpg[/attachment:9mil3piu]
    IG, pebble tech, approx 20k gallons (33x16 free form) with 3ft raised spa approx 1k gallons & waterfall
    Pentair FNS Plus FNSP60 DE filter (broken), 3 Pentair WhisperFlo WFE-8 2HP 1.30SF pumps (2 broken, 1 leaking a bit when starting), MiniMax N7 gas heater (also broken), AquaRite SWG (it or cell not working), AquaLink RS8 Control, Dolphin Z5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to open a stuck AquaRite Turbo Cell

I was going to suggest a strap wrench ... maybe get a better on that is less likely to break?

Sounds like someone put them on too tight in the first place.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I use a big pipe wrench to get mine open.
    16k 17X33 IG Vinyl(2000), Pentair Intellifo Variable Speed Pump(2006), Hayward Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG w/T9 cell(repl 7/2011), Hayward Natl Gas Heater, TF100 w/magnetic stirrer

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I have a pair of strap wrenches that I picked up at Harbor Freight for a few dollars. They seem to do the job.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    I was going to suggest a strap wrench ... maybe get a better on that is less likely to break?

Sounds like someone put them on too tight in the first place.
    Yeah, it looks like someone has used tools to tighten/loosen these, even though it says hand tighten in the manual

Do you know of any good quality strap wrenches? I searched on sears.com & lowes.com and both the craftsman & kobalt have pretty poor reviews and look similar to the "Power Grip" I have tried...
    IG, pebble tech, approx 20k gallons (33x16 free form) with 3ft raised spa approx 1k gallons & waterfall
    Pentair FNS Plus FNSP60 DE filter (broken), 3 Pentair WhisperFlo WFE-8 2HP 1.30SF pumps (2 broken, 1 leaking a bit when starting), MiniMax N7 gas heater (also broken), AquaRite SWG (it or cell not working), AquaLink RS8 Control, Dolphin Z5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Saltypool
    I use a big pipe wrench to get mine open.
    There's a ~4" Pipe wrench? Biggest I've seen are like 2.5" tops...

7. Back To Top    #7

Pipe wrenches are measured in overall length. I've actually used 60" pipe wrenches and they make larger than that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Pipe wrenches are measured in overall length. I've actually used 60" pipe wrenches and they make larger than that.
    Well obviously I'm not talking about length, I'm talking about opening width, and a big 18" length pipe typically has a 2.5" opening...

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd try some channel locks.

I have a pair so big they're almost comical. Pretty pricey, though, for a one-time use.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I'd try some channel locks.

I have a pair so big they're almost comical. Pretty pricey, though, for a one-time use.
    thanks, I was looking at those types of pliers too but didn't find any the size I need before, but now when I searched for channellock I was able to find a 18" plier at lowes with a jaw opening of 4.25" for 23 bucks... if it works it's worth it! You can never have too many good tools

11. Back To Top    #11

I think I have that tool!!! I can not remember why I just got it ... might have been to replace the screw in fittings to my multi-valve? Although those are not 4".
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Try putting on a pair of leather gloves and give it another try - I find that helps get a better grip and ability to loosen that type of fitting.
    18x33 AGP, 17,300 gal, Hayward Sand Filter, 1.5 HP 2 Speed Hayward Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Interestingly enough I use two 12" pipe wrenches to loosen mine. You do not need to have the jaws of the pipe wrench open clear across the nuts. The nuts have ridges, and the jaws catch just fine on them.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

14. Back To Top    #14

At Harbor Freight, they have Oil Filter Wrenches. This is more like a large curved jaw pliers instead of a band clamp type that fits around an oil filter. Any auto parts store should also have this, but some have them way overpriced. They are about $10.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

15. Back To Top    #15

I got the 16" Channellock, and with that badboy I was finally able to open that thing up But even with that huge thing, I still had to crank it to get it open, so it was pretty stuck...

In the manual it says you're supposed to check the plates and clean them etc. I rinced through it with the hose and got some gunk out of there, but through that little hole I can hardly even see the plates, only the rows of white plastic that I'm guessing are holding the plates somewhere in the middle... So how are you supposed to inspect the plates inside?

16. Back To Top    #16

You would be able to tell if there was a lot of buildup between the plates ... if you can see through there, then you are are pretty good.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    You would be able to tell if there was a lot of buildup between the plates ... if you can see through there, then you are are pretty good.
    Ok sounds good, thanks!

18. Back To Top    #18

Yeah, just hold it up and look through the whole tube.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden