Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: . Is Aqua Perl a Diatomaceous Earth DE Alternative

1. Back To Top    #1

. Is Aqua Perl a Diatomaceous Earth DE Alternative

I have a Hayward EC65a filter. I am about to load it up for the season and need to ask the question . . . Is Aqua Perl a Diatomaceous Earth DE Alternative and Replacement? I have read about safety issues with DE and have to make a purchase soon.

I used the BBB method last year for the first time ever and loved the results . I will do what you advise.
    I live in Lynchburg, VA. and have a vinyl 16x32 in-ground pool with avg. depth 6.5'. 26500 gallons.
    Tri-chlor 3" tabs, bleach, Arm and Hammer soda, muriatic acid, Flo-tron ionizer, solar cover, Hayward D.E. filter, Hayward Chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: . Is Aqua Perl a Diatomaceous Earth DE Alternative

Yes, it is a replacement. I just did a search on this website, and there hasn't been much discussion on it.

I nominate Guffey Guy to be the guinea pig for this product and report back to us at regular intervals. Who'll second it?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, Guffey Guy

Second

As Richard mentioned we have not had much feedback on it. If you do try it, please let us know how it works.

Here is one thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/using...-e-t20136.html
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, gentleman, I see where it has been first and seconded to go the Aqua Perl route. I will be glad to give it a try. Thanks
    I live in Lynchburg, VA. and have a vinyl 16x32 in-ground pool with avg. depth 6.5'. 26500 gallons.
    Tri-chlor 3" tabs, bleach, Arm and Hammer soda, muriatic acid, Flo-tron ionizer, solar cover, Hayward D.E. filter, Hayward Chlorinator.

5. Back To Top    #5

That's the spirit!!! ... contributing to the collective knowledge within the first few posts
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Guffey Guy
    Well, gentleman, I see where it has been first and seconded to go the Aqua Perl route. I will be glad to give it a try. Thanks
    [center:15fx2hjz]Take heart!
    [youtube:15fx2hjz]Xa6c3OTr6yA[/youtube:15fx2hjz][/center:15fx2hjz]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I too have considered trying a DE alternative, however when I contacted Hayward about the use of DE alternatives, they strongly urged me not to use any DE alternative in a Perflex type DE filter.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

I've been using AquaPerl in my Waterway DE filter for several years now. It seems to work just as well as real DE. I think I posted in a thread on it a long time back but it didn't get much attention.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.troublefreepool.com/using...-e-t20136.html
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

9. Back To Top    #9

I just started using as a result of my pool store stocking it instead of standard DE. I have a Hayward EC-50 filter. It seems to filter good but when I re-generate (bump) the filter, I get a plume of cloudy water which I assume is the aqua perl coming out of the outflow for a few seconds. I think that I am going back to the standard DE to see if it happens then. - John
    18 x 33 x 54 Brothers Three Sharkline Navigator Above ground pool with Hayward EC-50 perflex earth filter with 1 hp motor, Hayward H series Low Nox 200 FDN heater, Hayward AquaTrol SWG. Pool was installed April 15, 2015 to replace an existing 30 year old pool that self destructed due to the hard Long Island freeze we experienced this winter.