Universal Wall Fitting - Am I being told the truth?

Apr 29, 2013
Hi. I'm a pool "newbie" and just noticed that the Universal Wall Fitting does not screw all the way in the return line on my new pool. It sticks out and there's more than a 1/4 inch left to go. The cleaner plugs in and works fine, but to me it looks bad and could be a hazard. My builder said that's "normal." Am I crazy for not believing that? Obviously there's not enough thread in the return pipe to take the whole thing. What can be done at this point? Add more threading to the return pipe? (sounds risky) Cut 3/8 inches off the universal wall fitting?

Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What kind of pool are we talking about? Post up a picture of the fitting you are trying to use.
All my return eyeballs are actually inside the pipe, so nothing sticks out beyond the pool surface.
Clearly there are different types of fittings, but a simple solution could be to trim off part of the fitting.

Thanks for the welcome. We like our new pool, and I realize there are certainly worse things that can happen!

It's one of these things that doesn't screw all the way in. Came with our Polaris 280.

images

So this is where the Polaris attaches? Would you be leaving the fitting in the pool even when the cleaner is not?
Does the cleaner attach to the inside of that fitting?

While trimming to fitting may allow it to fit more flush in the return, I would be concerned that the shorter length would prevent the Polaris from properly attaching (but I am not familiar with how these work).

Yes, the fitting stays there. The Polaris hose pushes in and twists to catch on.

As for the return pipe, how far in should threading go? Does the pool builder typically thread the pipe themselves (and didn't go far enough) or does it come pre-threaded?

Here is a better picture of it:
6-500-00_600x600.jpg

Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to buy a new one and sand down the first 1/4 inch of the threading so it will screw all the way in. I'm just surprised my builder says that it's "normal." I haven't taken it out yet. Is there a chance something is blocking it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.