Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Universal Wall Fitting - Am I being told the truth?

1. Back To Top    #1

Universal Wall Fitting - Am I being told the truth?

Hi. I'm a pool "newbie" and just noticed that the Universal Wall Fitting does not screw all the way in the return line on my new pool. It sticks out and there's more than a 1/4 inch left to go. The cleaner plugs in and works fine, but to me it looks bad and could be a hazard. My builder said that's "normal." Am I crazy for not believing that? Obviously there's not enough thread in the return pipe to take the whole thing. What can be done at this point? Add more threading to the return pipe? (sounds risky) Cut 3/8 inches off the universal wall fitting?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Universal Wall Fitting - Am I being told the truth?

Welcome to TFP!!!

What kind of pool are we talking about? Post up a picture of the fitting you are trying to use.
    All my return eyeballs are actually inside the pipe, so nothing sticks out beyond the pool surface.
    Clearly there are different types of fittings, but a simple solution could be to trim off part of the fitting.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the welcome. We like our new pool, and I realize there are certainly worse things that can happen!

It's one of these things that doesn't screw all the way in. Came with our Polaris 280.

4. Back To Top    #4

So this is where the Polaris attaches? Would you be leaving the fitting in the pool even when the cleaner is not?
    Does the cleaner attach to the inside of that fitting?

While trimming to fitting may allow it to fit more flush in the return, I would be concerned that the shorter length would prevent the Polaris from properly attaching (but I am not familiar with how these work).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, the fitting stays there. The Polaris hose pushes in and twists to catch on.

As for the return pipe, how far in should threading go? Does the pool builder typically thread the pipe themselves (and didn't go far enough) or does it come pre-threaded?

Here is a better picture of it:

Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to buy a new one and sand down the first 1/4 inch of the threading so it will screw all the way in. I'm just surprised my builder says that it's "normal." I haven't taken it out yet. Is there a chance something is blocking it?

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd leave it sticking out. It gives you some place to tether your floating thermometer. I've got an unused fitting sticking out the wall of my pool and that's what I use it for!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Leave it sticking out so you can easily remove it when it is time to close up the pool in the fall

Thanks!
    David
    Sent from my iPhone using
    Tapatalk
    11,000 Gal Trilogy "Utopia" Fiberglass Pool, 1HP Jandy Pump, Jandy CS200 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 199k BTU Heater, Liquidator, CMP Off-Line Chlorinator. Cleaners: Polaris 360, Blue Diamond, Poolvernuegen Pressure