Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA quality

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA quality

Is it all the same wherever you buy it? Walmart didn't have large qty's of solid CYA at the store, but found Blue Wave brand online at walmart.com thru Wayfair. Amazon also has the same product, and the one online review says it is junk. http://www.amazon.com/Swim-Time-7-lb...=cm_cr_pr_pb_i
    Any reason not to save a few bucks and get this, compared to buying from the pool store?
    TF100 kit, 26k Gallon 18x36 Vinyl inground by Blue Haven Pool, TurboCell T-15 SWG, SmartPure ozonator,
    Hayward SmartFilter cartridge with 1.5hp dual spd. Hayward SmartMax Star Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA quality

CYA is pretty much all the same. All of the various brands simply repackage chemicals from the same two suppliers. The only thing to watch out for is people selling it at 50% concentration instead of the usual 98+% pure. That is rare but you do see it now and then.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It's all the same....

If you read the review, he added and tested daily. We all know CYA takes a week to show. They're also clueless on pool chemistry. One puck would raise their CYA level around 20.....why buy a 7lb bucket.

Ignore the review.

4. Back To Top    #4

the review was right...it did not come in the nifty bucket

The back of the bag said to add 1-2/3 lb per 10k gallon, that was a little under what the recommendation from the pool store (9bls7oz). Knowing its difficult to get extra CYA out, I followed it, but now I'm at 30ppm. I'll go ahead and add the rest of the bag (2lbs).
    TF100 kit, 26k Gallon 18x36 Vinyl inground by Blue Haven Pool, TurboCell T-15 SWG, SmartPure ozonator,
    Hayward SmartFilter cartridge with 1.5hp dual spd. Hayward SmartMax Star Pump.