Getting SWG to run the same amount regardless of pumpruntime

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
North Georgia
I have a Hayward Pro Logic system with their SWG. Per pool school i understand the SWG runs a % of whatever pump run time i have set via the timers for the pump.

Could my SWG be controlled by say AUX 2 to run for a set time. Basically take the computing out of its chlorine generation and just have generate/doesn't have power.

Last summer, when the water got hot, i started running my pump at odd hours to cool the pool, and this started jacking with my chlorine levels.

It this idea is stupid and won't work it was entirely mine, if it will/could work i'll reveal the true source!

Re: Getting SWG to run the same amount regardless of pumprun

That is certainly possible. However, to automate it you would need to find a special timer that tracked accumulated on time over a 24 hour period. Such things exist, but I've only seen them for industrial control applications (read expensive).

Are you running a separate SWG controller outside the Pro Logic? I guess I am not sure if you are using the integrated SWG controller if you could actually re-route the power to the SWG through an AUX relay so that you could control its on-time.

In theory that should work as long as you were sure the Aux 2 power was only available when the pump was running.

jblizzle said:
Are you running a separate SWG controller outside the Pro Logic? I guess I am not sure if you are using the integrated SWG controller if you could actually re-route the power to the SWG through an AUX relay so that you could control its on-time.

In theory that should work as long as you were sure the Aux 2 power was only available when the pump was running.

Correct- you can run your own timers for the Cell Power. I do it today. The FILTER timer only turns on the cell, and my standalone Ecostar has its own controls. I can run my pump whenever I like and only have the Cell active when the timer is set on the AquaPlus.

just be sure the pump is physically wired to a differnt output such as AUX1 or AUX2.

Also all the outputs can be programmed to freeze protect, interlock, etc......

Okay so i started reading the manual, dang it's complicated. I found this....

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals ... ration.pdf

Lights Function
Although designated as the “Lights” output, the function of the lights relay is similar to the aux1 and
aux2 relays. If pool lights are wired to the lights relay, some options including Solar function, Low
Speed of a 2-Speed Filter Pump, Lights Interlock and Lights Freeze Protection will not be necessary
and should be disabled. If no pool lights are used, the lights relay can be used to control other pool
devices that may require these options. The function of each option is shown below.

Super Chlorinate – if “Chlorinator” is enabled, this option allows the user to start a Super Chlorinate
cycle when the Lights button is pressed, rather than using the Settings Menu. Note that only one
button can be assigned to this function.

So does that mine i could turn the SWG to 0%, but using the lights switch set the SWG to super chlorinate for a set period of time?

jblizzle said:

No i am not is the turbo cell that came with the system, installed by the pool builder last year, currently there is not button that controls it, only a menu that i adjust % run time on.

it would be easier if you just move your pump wires to the AUX2 relay and configure it to run your main pump. That way the default Super Chlorinate and other settings which are working currently will continue. Be advised though when you select Super Chlorinate, its typically 12 or 24 hours (can be programmed) you need to be sure your Aux2 will run or you wont get the full generation if your timer for AUX2 shuts off before superchlorinate.

I believe you can interlock them together- I have to check on that.

PS on the AquaPlus/Logic- the SWG "power" is controlled by the FILTER relay as long as your pump in typical installations. To have them operate independently you need to move the pump wires. I don't believe you can move the SWG control to anther output easily.

Okay, i guess i really need to read this manual cover to cover, and start playing with it so I understand what it is capable off.

I've never used the Super Chlorinate feature, I've supplemented with bleach if needed. I didn't like not knowing how much Chlorine would be generated at the end of the cycle just preferred knowing what it would be with addition of bleach.

Another way would be to use the Aux relay to engage or disengage the flow switch. When the timer is on the flow switch works normally and when the timer is off, the flow switch is disengaged and appears to the controller as No Flow. Not ideal, but it would probably work. Any other time period, the SWG is off.

The only time you are generating chlorine is when the pump is running. Therefore putting a timer on the cell isn't going to accomplish much I don't think. Unless I am missing something. When you run your pump more turn your percentage down to accomodate extended run times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The idea is to limit the SWG run time to a fixed set of time so that if the pump is run beyond the scheduled run time, the SWG is prevented from running too. That way the SWG run time is constant resulting in a more predictable FC level.

Exactly. Mas is correct. There are many reasons you may want to run your pump without the cell energized. I do it all the time. One example is heat pump. I don't need my cell running for 3 days straight while heating up my water.
There are also several other advantages especially when u run a low speed pump and need more pump time on low speed. Deactivating the cell has advantages instead of always fooling with the %.
It's easy to do with the aqua plus and I have had mine this way for years.

So how exactly did you do it on the AquaPlus? Is it the same for the Pro Logic?

Did you move the high speed pump wire off of the Filter relay? Oh, you have a VS. Wondering how to accomplish this with a 2 speed pump or a single speed like HarleySolo

Jbizzle......
Harley can use the Aux2, or Aux 3 output and do the same. Only the FILTER relay energizes the TCell.....So moving your filter pump to the other relays will do the same. I know he has a boost pump set to AUX2, so in his case he can use the AUX3 output. This will drive his single speed pump.
If you had a two speed you could use AUX2 and AUX3 and even lights. Sometimes not feasible though if you actually have a booster and cleaner.
I have a slight advantage as my Ecostar has its own controls and is not tied in.

I know the AquaPlus can do this- he has the same unit as mine- I saw it in his pics. I lot of people intermix the term AquaPlus and AquaLogic, but there are different models, however I believe they will all work this way to some degree.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.