Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 12 inch retaining wall?

1. Back To Top    #1

12 inch retaining wall?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and I have been reading up on doing the install myself. I'm just in the process of digging and leveling the area for our Intex 16 X 48 pool.

On the high side I will be left with about 12 inches of dirt exposed. Do I need to put up a small retaining wall around that high side or it there another way to hold back that dirt?

Here is a pic of the progress so far.

Thanks for the advice

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: 12 inch retaining wall?

Welcome to TFP.

I'd just taper the soil toward the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Twin Cities, MN

Welcome to tfp, Stevemarkham

I agree with Bama, I would just taper that. Mine was about 9 inches and I tapered it and you might know it looking at it now.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Agreed. Or if you don't want grass to grow up to the pool put a layer of white pebbles around. That is unless you really love the look and extra work of a retaining wall.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing