Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum while shocking

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum while shocking

Should I run the automatic vacuum while shocking the pool? I think I've read about everything that goes along with turning the green swamp to crystal clear water but I haven't seen where this is a good idea or bad.

FC-0
    CC-0
    TC-0
    TA-70
    CH-100
    CYA-40

Pool calculator says 339 oz of 8.25% bleach. So I just spread this throughout the pool and then test the FC every 30 min adding more bleach if needed to keep it at shock level (15)?
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Vacuum while shocking

Yes, vacuuming and brushing the pool while you are in the shock process is an essential part of getting your water clear.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Be aware that plastic components of your automatic cleaner may become brittle and more prone to cracking and it may bleach the color from the plastic housing, making it look dull and chalky. For the relatively short period of time that the shock process represents, manually vacuuming a pool a few times with a $39 pole mounted vacuum head would possibly be better than risking damage to a $400+ automatic vacuum. Just my opinion.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

4. Back To Top    #4

How many days should I keep it at shock level? Everytime I vacuum now its just pine straw a some dirt. The pine straw maybe fresh being we are still having winds daily so I'm thinking its blowing in the pool. The water is blue but I can't see the bottom yet. The numbers seem to hold overnight, FC lost 1 overnight last night and .5 the night before. Been holding it at shock level since mid afternoon on Monday.

My current numbers are
    FC-16
    CC- 1
    TC- 17
    TA- 80
    CH- 60
    CYA- 30
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Keep it at shock level until your water is clear, you have no more than 0.5 CC, and you lose no more than 1 FC overnight. Run filter 24/7 until clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

The past few nights my OCLT has passed with 0.5 cc. Would it be ok to turn on the SWG to keep chlorine up or just keep pouring bleach to maintain shock level during the day? It looks a little better each day, but water is still cloudy.
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Slickster
    The past few nights my OCLT has passed with 0.5 cc. Would it be ok to turn on the SWG to keep chlorine up or just keep pouring bleach to maintain shock level during the day? It looks a little better each day, but water is still cloudy.
    Can you clarify that first statement? You only lost .5 FC or you only read .5 CC? Because there are two separate tests involved.

If you're not losing FC overnight AND CC is .5 or less, then I'd say, yeah, fire up the SWG. It doesn't matter whether FC comes from a jug or the SWG makes its own as long as it's in there. Sand filters are notoriously slow to clear the fine debris after the shock process. You might try adding some DE to the filter to speed it along - provided the other two signs that the shock process is complete have passed.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

FC has held the same overnight and cc is 0.5

FC 12
    cc 0.5

I have to add bleach during the day to keep the FC at 12-13 but at night it stays the same.
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Okay you've passed the overnight loss test. Sucks that its still cloudy. Have you tried adding DE to the sand? Instructions are in Pool School - the alternative to DE is clarifier. Sometimes it can take awhile for sand to clear up the water. But the fact your FC is holding is a good sign you are close to being done. Yes, you can turn the swg on to help maintain shock level while you work on achieving the third criteria to know when you are "done shocking" - clear water.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

I've read that and thought about adding DE. Where do you buy that from?
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

My pool is slowly getting clearer everyday
    I put DE in the filter and added a skimmer sock
    Boy that really catches a lot of dead algae
    You can get it at lowe's
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit http://tftestkits.net/
    Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP

12. Back To Top    #12

Pool stores, walmart, home improvement stores in their pool sections.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

13. Back To Top    #13

Considering the small amount you'll need, ask one of the neighbors who might have a DE filter. Otherwise the smallest bag will end up a lifetime supply. Not that it's hugely expensive or anything, but why waste the space?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

Lowes or the local pool store didn't have any DE. The pool store can order it but they did have Pro Team dry clarifier, $10. Looks to work about the same way as DE. Anyone ever used it? I actually bought some and put in skimmer per directions on the bag. If it's no good guess the pool store got me for $10, not the first I've ever wasted.
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

I've used blue clarifier, never dry stuff.

16. Back To Top    #16

I was just reading over the SWG again, maybe I should raise my CYA up to help also, it's been at 30 and I see pool school recommends 70.
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

17. Back To Top    #17

yes at least 60 but wait until you have completed the shock process before you raise it.

18. Back To Top    #18

Until water is clear? My OCLT passed the past few nights. I guess since water isn't clear the shock process isn't over.

FC - 12
    CC - 0.5
    TC - 12.5
    TA - 70
    CH - 60
    CYA - 30
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

19. Back To Top    #19

I've been keeping an eye on the psi gauge the since yesterday and it don't seem to be rising. It just stays on 19. I still backwash but shouldn't it be going up as it's clearing the water? I looked at it a little while ago and the site glass only was half full of water, I backwashed and it filled back up. I thought I read in another topic of someone having problems with the valve on top not working right, could that be a problem also? Only had the pool a year, don't believe it should be messed up. Maybe my POP is running thin.
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

20. Back To Top    #20

Any idea's on why the PSI isn't going up and the site glass is only half full of water?
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast