Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash versus waste

1. Back To Top    #1

Charlotte, NC

Backwash versus waste

When rainfall results in a water level that must be lowered & your backwash is not yet indicated according to the pressure gauge but is definitely not at the lowest mark/beginning pressure, I assume it is just fine too lower the water via backwash? Are there any good reasons that one should not backwash assuming that the pressure is not at the "beginning pressure"

Unrelated question: my sand filter was new about three years ago. The beginning pressure was always 10 or 12 including at closing last season. This year, the beginning pressure was 20. I have had to backwash three times & the gauge appears to be working normally. Just curious why the beginning pressure would change. It is possible that some minor air leak somewhere no longer exists; the only reason I say that is because the air bubble visible on the top of the pump basket does seem to be a little smaller; maybe I have the cleaner attachment just right and never did before, who knows?

Thank you
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Backwash versus waste

You can use backwash to remove a little water whenever you want. But if your water was very dirty or you needed to remove a lot of water, waste would be better.

The only reason the pressure would go up that much would be due to added restriction on the pressure side, in/after the filter. Are there any valves that are not fully open? Or anything different from last year?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!