Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Reels. . .Pros and cons

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Reels. . .Pros and cons

I am looking to buy a Solar Reel and cover for a 16x34 pool. I have been reading the posts on the covers, but little or nothing about the reels. Are there reels to just stay away from because of construction and materials? Is there a consensus on a reel or reels that do the job as advertised?
    I live in Lynchburg, VA. and have a vinyl 16x32 in-ground pool with avg. depth 6.5'. 26500 gallons.
    Tri-chlor 3" tabs, bleach, Arm and Hammer soda, muriatic acid, Flo-tron ionizer, solar cover, Hayward D.E. filter, Hayward Chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Reels. . .Pros and cons

I bought a cheapie reel from a discount pool supply website last year. It works fine; my biggest complaint is that it's an eyesore on my deck, and the solar blanket doesn't seem to make much difference in my water temp.
    14k gallon oval agp, sand filter, 1hp pump, BBB method, K-2006 Test Kit
    Roanoke, VA

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. I have a sungrabber solar panel on my roof that is used to heat the pool also so what I'm going to try to do is use the liquid heatsaver product for the season and see if that does the same job. I think I got between five and seven extra degrees last year from the solar panel. If heat saver can give me another 4 or 5 I'm fine with that.

The reel and cover package was almost $600 which is at this point not necessary. I'll just figure it out at the end of the season see which way I must go
    I live in Lynchburg, VA. and have a vinyl 16x32 in-ground pool with avg. depth 6.5'. 26500 gallons.
    Tri-chlor 3" tabs, bleach, Arm and Hammer soda, muriatic acid, Flo-tron ionizer, solar cover, Hayward D.E. filter, Hayward Chlorinator.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by karmazrevenge
    I bought a cheapie reel from a discount pool supply website last year. It works fine; my biggest complaint is that it's an eyesore on my deck, and the solar blanket doesn't seem to make much difference in my water temp.
    Having a solar blanket on a night can/should make a big difference. Most of it due to reducing heat lost due to evaporation.

On my pool, somewhere around half of my heat gain is due to using a cover a night and the other half is due to using solar panels.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

$600 is crazy! A cover should be <100, and a half-decent reel maybe 200. The Rocky's ones are nice, but the less expensive ones are fine too.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden