Maintaining water in pool and hot tub more easily?

Dec 31, 2012
I purchased a new house over the winter and am starting my first year of pool maintenance. Up to point, I've had the pump/filter circulating water in the pool and hot tub together. They are connected by a waterfall and I have been leaving that on so that the water will circulate. I've recently learned that the waterfall aeration causes my pH to rise very quickly, so I would like to stop doing it this way. What I need to find out is what is the best way to handle this situation. Do I need to go out and manually change the valves to filter the hot tub water every day?

I am hoping that there is a better way. I would rather not have to do 2 water tests and manually adjust the valves every day. Thanks in advance for any advice that you can give to this newbie.

I hope you have manual valves.

I shut down the drain to my spa and have about 20% of the return go through the spa to the pool. I also shoved the cap from a can of spray paint over the air intake for the spa to reduce the aeration. Just yank it off when you want more bubbles.

I haven't had any problem with water clarity in the spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.